heater help!

Aug 25, 2016
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
ok first of all great site lots of info! also yes i did a lot of research but i need help with my heater it's a teledyne laars lite 1 series i believe. natural gas. it looks pretty old but everything inside wires and such looks decent. i started out having a problem where the heater would fire up and run for about 5 or 10 mins then shut off and a minute or 2 later fire back up for another 5 or 10 mins and so on. i thought it could be the pressure sensor because the filter is good pump is brand new and there's good pressure to the pool. anyway after i finally bought the sensor it had been a couple months with hot weather so it went on the back burner until now i installed it and the heater doesn't do anything no pilot. i cleaned out the old sensor it actually looked really dirty and i put it back in and the heater is still dead. it has pressure, the gas is on, and so is the breaker. maybe the sensor would've solved the problem but now i have another. I'd appreciate any help and opinions on where i should start now. thanks! also let me know if there is any other info needed from me about my setup

First thing is when it was running for the 5-10 min and shut off tells me that it was probably overheating to do a bad bypass valve. Here is the manual for the unit. On page 7 it shows you the wiring diagram. Start checking all of the safeties to make sure none of them are bad.

https://www.parts4heating.com/v/vspfiles/images/pdfs/LiteLLGLLD.pdf

thanks for the reply. ok i will try and test the safeties and see what i come up with. do i turn the unit on and test for 24vac starting with the transformer? and as far as the bypass valve goes are you talking about the one that diverts water to the heater or is there one on the heater itself? I am new to pool heaters. thanks

There is a bypass inside the header, where the water comes and and goes out on the heater. You may or may not be able to get t out especially if it's rusted in place.

There is a bypass inside the header, where the water comes and and goes out on the heater. You may or may not be able to get t out especially if it's rusted in place.

ok yeah there is a valve on top of the header. i remember water coming out of it when it would run long enough because i thought there was a leak somewhere until i noticed where it was actually coming from. also i can pull up on the lever and water will come out. so does that mean it's working?

That's a pressure relief valve. I call it a bypass but it's actually called a flow control valve on this unit. It is located inside the header. Here is a picture to show where it is located.

flow control.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.