AquaGenie return

We're about to do a large inground pool renovation and need advice. We have a 35+ year old Buster Crabbe pool and are ripping out our concrete pool decking, opening the shallow end wall to install 6’ walk in steps, new liner, replacing original coping, new diving board and relocating our lines and mechanical system . The pool has it's original AquaGenie and no addition return line.

Our question is has anyone added an additional return/returns to a older Buster Crabbe pool that only has the AquaGenie return system? Our pool professionals who will be tasked with the reno feel we shouldn't mess with "success" as it's run this way for so many years.

Yes I have removed aqua genies & added returns.. It is laborious, well worth it in my experiences..

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I have removed aqua genies & added returns.. It is laborious, week worth it in my experiences..

Just curious, is your BC pool wood or steel walled?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Multiple return jets is always better than just 1. Honestly, I am surprised that the AquaGenie is effective at all for maintaining good circulation.
I feel that they work amazingly well. Circulation is actually much better than regular returns. (In my opinion) I do however have a smaller pool. When standing in center of pool in deep end I can feel return water moving by my legs and feet. I have two aqua genies, therefore, two returns. Return action is different with aqua genies , it's circular from bottom to top. Rather than just swirling water around the top to the skimmer. I thought about taking a video because I know people here seem to look down on them. When I turn my pump on , and watch the pool , although I can't see the water shoot out the returns to the bottom, and continue across pool, I know when the water reaches the other side because that's when it kinda displaces the water on the top and I can literally watch the entire surface move towards the skimmers. This has been my experience with them.

I have an aqua genie. I can tell ya, they work pretty good on a rectangle, round or oval pool.

The certainlhy would not be the best choice for a free form one or one longer than about 30 ft.

I have a 30 ft oval and I did add additional returns when I built it. The extra returns have come in handy on occasion too.

The Aqua Genie seems to work just fine on my rectangular(ish) 15k gallons. I can see water eddies forming all over the pool surface and anything floating on the opposite end of the pool will be at the skimmer in less than 5 minutes. My only complaint is that the built in chlorine stick dispenser doesn't dispense enough. I have a second tablet floater and still have to add. I was sold on it providing my chlorine needs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Aqua Genie seems to work just fine on my rectangular(ish) 15k gallons. I can see water eddies forming all over the pool surface and anything floating on the opposite end of the pool will be at the skimmer in less than 5 minutes. My only complaint is that the built in chlorine stick dispenser doesn't dispense enough. I have a second tablet floater and still have to add. I was sold on it providing my chlorine needs.
With an indoor pool, I would think that relying exclusively on tablets is a bad idea due to the CYA build up. You do not need more than 10-30ppm of CYA for an indoor pool. Makes more sense to set the level and then use liquid chlorine or SWG to maintain the FC levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.