Starting to get the hang of it...but still no CYA or FC

gocubs418

May 3, 2016
Dallas/TX
My Aquapure was just started today (Side note: how do I control the cell from my iAquaLink, what % salt should I put in pool/spa?). They left a 5lb bag of salt as extra if I need it.

The pool is still relatively clear, maybe a little cloudy. I tested the pH while my brother in law was over and it was super pink aka high. He has a salt water pool so he took me to Lowe's and we picked up some Liquid chlorine (thought the salt was going to be installed later) and Muratic Acid.

I dumped in about 1/4 gal and let the pumps run yesterday. Today, I came home and tested again and it was still very high. I dumped in another 1/4 gal and will check tomorrow.

I tried testing for CYA and I still can fill the tube up and see the black dot at the bottom no problem. I presume this is why my FC is getting gobbled up.

I use the "Aquachek" guess strips and it confirms those findings. High pH, no FC, lowish CYA, and low alkalinity.

Also, I plasted on August 12th, today they added Salt. They assured me today was fine to install it.

So, in your signature, it says you have the TF-100 test kit. If that is true, then we need the following test results from your TF-100, not anything else, if we are to help. :testresults:

In this order..

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

The whole concept behind the TFP process is to be able to run the tests and then use "Pool Math" to determine what to add to the pool to correct the chemical balance. Go try this..go to the bottom of "Pool Math", under pool volume, and set up the size of your pool so that it reads 14K. Then go to Effect of chemicals and see how much 10% liquid chlorine you will need to add to get from zero to 4 ppm.

You can also see how much CYA you will need to get from zero to 75 ppm..

Let us know what you get.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Run all the test and post your numbers. I would only add chemicals based on pool math, no guessing. The salt went in very early based on Recs of most plaster companies, most tell you not to add salt for 30 days. Once you post numbers the experts will be here to help. The Aqua pure should be set to about 50% from what i read in the manual. I would check with Jandy customer service or on line. You will not see any CYA unless they or you added it to the water, here again you need pool math.

pH = between 7.8 to 8.2
Cl BR = 0
R-0870 added, very little pink shown

FC .5PPM
CC .5PPM
TC 1PPM
CH 175PPM
TA 50
CYA 0

I have Muractic acid, Liquid Chlorine, Salt bag (salt was just mixed in yesterday, not sure how to confirm Salt cell is on, I will call tomorrow), and Chlorox Stabilzer powder. I checked the aquapure, salinity says 2.6GPL, however, Pool % and Spa % are off.

What do I need to add?

CYA. Was your last CYA test cloudy at all? If so, you have some CYA in there. You want to get to about 40 for now until we know more. If the solution was somewhat cloudy, raise it about 20ppm. If not, raise it to 30. Use PoolMath to tell you how much stabilizer to add. If you are not familiar with PoolMath, here is a tutorial: Pool School - PoolMath

- - - Updated - - -

Use PoolMath also to lower the pH to about 7.4-7.6

CYA. Was your last CYA test cloudy at all? If so, you have some CYA in there. You want to get to about 40 for now until we know more. If the solution was somewhat cloudy, raise it about 20ppm. If not, raise it to 30. Use PoolMath to tell you how much stabilizer to add. If you are not familiar with PoolMath, here is a tutorial: Pool School - PoolMath

- - - Updated - - -

Use PoolMath also to lower the pH to about 7.4-7.6

It might have been a smidge cloudy. I will use PoolMath above. How do you measure Muractic Acid? In a spare cup or something?

I am going to add 4lbs of Stabil and a cup of Muractic tomorrow morning.

I NEVER measure MA. I guesstimate on additions. Be sure to be upwind, and put the jug in the water in front of a return so that the jug opening is about an inch above the water level and slowly pour. That way there is little likelihood of a splash. Hold your breath. And if by ANY chance a drop gets in your eyes, fall into the pool up-circulation from your add and open your eyes underwater for 15 seconds.

I don't mean to scare you; just be careful. I didn't warn someone once and they got a lungful of fumes. I still feel bad about that.

I NEVER measure MA. I guesstimate on additions. Be sure to be upwind, and put the jug in the water in front of a return so that the jug opening is about an inch above the water level and slowly pour. That way there is little likelihood of a splash. Hold your breath. And if by ANY chance a drop gets in your eyes, fall into the pool up-circulation from your add and open your eyes underwater for 15 seconds.

I don't mean to scare you; just be careful. I didn't warn someone once and they got a lungful of fumes. I still feel bad about that.

Oh... I've smelled it... it does not smell good at all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.