Is CYA my problem?

You might know this already, but just to be sure this is how you backwash:

1. Turn the pump off.
2. Rotate the multiport clockwise to backwash. Always rotate in the same direction.
3. Turn the pump on.
4. Watch the water until it runs clear. It will likely be clear at first, then after a few seconds go dirty, and then slowly clear.
5. Turn the pump off.
6. Rotate the multiport to Rinse (CLOCKWISE!)
7. Turn the pump on. Watch the sight glass until it goes clear. If for whatever reason you can't see the sight glass, count to 10.
8. Pump off, rotate the multiport CLOCKWISE to Filter, and switch the pump back on. Check the gauge, make sure it's close to what it usually is post backwash.

The gauge should go to 0 when the pump isn't running. The psi should be less on Circulate than Filter. If either of those things aren't true, it's time for a new gauge. Don't be surprised if the next gauge has a different baseline PSI. TFTestkits.net has very nice gauges that are only slightly more expensive than Pool Store gauges that only last a year anyway.

There is probably a Pool School article on all that but :rambo:

That's how I've been doing it, except I didn't know to only turn clockwise :( I will make sure I do it correctly going forward. My gauge seems to be functioning well. I will keep that website in mind when I need a new one!

My PSI was at about 13 PSI after a thorough backwash and rinse, so I will repeat (clockwise this time!) when I get to the 16/17 range. Thanks!

You can use a sharpie and draw arrows around the valve positions. That can be a good reminder in case any one else ever has to do a backwash. They won't have to remember clockwise? Counter-clockwise? Just always turn the valve in the arrow direction. I am old and need all the help I can get to remember stuff!

Good morning!

Yesterday I tested and added bleach 6 times, brushed the pool thoroughly twice (I really wanted to do this more, but this was absolutely all my schedule could accommodate), backwashed and rinsed once, and removed the stairs. As you (Marian) suggested, there was some obvious algae on the steps! I am going to keep them out of the pool until the slam is complete. Unfortunately, the sand barrels that weigh the steps down slipped off and are now hanging out in the pool :( And the pool is WAY too cloudy to even attempt to fish them out.

The pool looks horrible:
pool 09.02.16.jpg

So, I did not do a full-on OCLT last night (I did not think it was necessary to use extra reagent since I'm already going through a ton, and will obviously have to continue my slam based on the appearance of the pool). However, I tested the water at 7:15 PM yesterday, and FC was 23.5. I made a slight adjustment, as my target FC for the slam is 25. 12 hours later (just a half hour ago) I tested again and my FC is 24.5. Although I can't be sure exactly how much I did or did not lose (since I didn't test after my last chlorine addition of the day), it seems to be rather low when factoring the appearance of the pool. I will do a proper OCLT tonight to get more info.

I am currently reading up on adding DE to my sand filter - anyone have any experience with that? Is there any reason this would be a bad idea? Any advice or suggestions are welcome!

I'm trying not to be impatient, but I'm so ready to see an improvement in this water!

edit: Just FYI - the clean pressure on my pump is 13, and it's currently 15. Keeping a close eye on it and plan to backwash and rinse later, when it hits 16ish.

You've only been SLAMming for 2 days. What you need to add now is POP - pool owner patience.

Here is a tip to save reagent: if you are measuring FC in the 20s, just use a 5ml pool sample and then each drop is 1ppm FC (instead of 0.5).

The OCLT and DE can wait until the water is clear(er).

You are doing fine. The brushing will help. The big thing I would like to say is not to worry about the OCLT. It is pretty obvious that you have algae so you might as well save the reagent. Really, the OCLT should wait until you are clear. Take pictures each day of something that is going down into the water like steps or a pole. That way you can see the progress.

FYI, you might want to order the FAS-DPD reagents as you'll have to do a lot of FC tests during the SLAM. The K-2006 has about 25 tests which usually isn't enough for a SLAM. The XL option from TF Test kits is a great value: TFTestkits.net

You might want to get the speed stir as it speeds up the tests, helps with accuracy and makes it more fun. No one has ever reported regret buying it. TFTestkits.net

Hello! Just wanted to give an update on how the pool is looking. My son and I have both had a nasty cold for the past few days, so I haven't been able to keep up on the slam as diligently as before, but I'm still seeing progress! We are both feeling a lot better today, so I'll be working on the pool full time again. I think it will be clear just in time to close it for the season... :rolleyes:

I just took this picture:
pool 09.06.16.jpg
As you can see, the water is very cloudy, but sort of blue! So far I've used 16.5 bottles of bleach! :shock:

I hope everyone had a nice Labor Day!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh no! I hope you both heal quickly... sucks to be sick over a long weekend :(

I hear ya on the waning days of pool fun... I think this week will be last swim week for me. Night temps are cooling off and I don't feel like getting in the pool when the air temps are 80 or less.

Sand filters take much longer to clear especially the last part of the SLAM. You might want to consider adding DE to your filter to help filter out the dead algae. You will want to add a little bit of DE and keep an eye on the filter pressure, backwash when the pressure is 25% above clean pressure. Here is the tutorial: Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.