testing for bromine- is it chlorine or bromine?!

Jul 6, 2016
Gainesville, FL
I primed the spa with sodium bromide, added chlorine as oxidizer (2-step method outlined in the sticky post). I am using Taylor K-1000 to test for bromine. Question is, is it chlorine or bromine I am looking at?! they both use the same reagent (OTO) so I have no clue if I am measuring the oxidizing bleach that I added, or the sodium bromide turned into bromine? Do I need to wait a certain amount of time for the chlorine to do it's magic before measuring bromine levels?

Also, I understand it is recommended to use Taylor K-2106 for bromine. Is it another color-matching kit? or will I be counting drops? there is surprisingly little information available on this kit, I would like to know how it works before spending $57.

I have been told that you can just use the test chemicals for chlorine and multiply by 2.25 for bromine. So when using the FAS-DPD chlorine test kit to test for bromine for a 25ml sample the FC reading is drops*.2*2.25 or drops *.45. So just using drops*.5 is close enough. This makes it easier for me to use one kit to test my SWCG chlorine pool and bromine spa.

You can't differentiate chlorine from bromine. The test should really be called a "total halogen" or "free halogen" test because chlorine, bromine and iodine will all make the dyes change color.

In your spa, you just have to assume that the dominant halogen is bromine because chlorine will immediately react with the bromide to form bromine and it (chlorine) will be used up very quickly.

Incidentally, this is why you should NEVER add bromine to a swimming pool. It creates a constant chlorine demand which cannot be accurately tested for.

Marketing gimmick. The K-2106 has the FAS-DPD titration test for halogens, pH, TA and CH tests. That's all that matters in a bromine spa because one does not use cyanuric acid in a bromine spa.

In general chemistry terms, the DPD indicator dye turns pink in the presence of any halogen (chlorine, bromine and iodine). It does not distinguish between halogens.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.