Sanitation Alternatives to Existing Bromine System -- SWG/Trichlor/Liquid Chlorine

RDN12

Jun 2, 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
In 2014, I purchased a home and completed construction of a pool, pond, and spa. The pool and spa are SWG, the pond was set up to sanitize using a bromine tablet feeder. After two years of operation and dealing with algae, I have concluded I need to make a change with the pond. The SWG pool and spa are near maintenance free and are exposed to about the same conditions. As I see it, I have three alternatives that all involve dumping the existing bromine tablet treated water:
  1. Convert to SWG like the other two systems
  2. Convert to trichlor tablet using existing feeder
  3. Use liquid chlorine and table feeder when on vacation

Obviously, alternative 1 requires the highest up front investment, but vs. my existing bromine costs will pay back in about 1.5 years. My questions:
  1. Am I correct in assuming that conversion to chlorine will make maintenance easier since chlorine is a better sanitizer?
  2. How can I estimate the annual on going costs of alternatives 2 and 3?
  3. How much work is required for alternative 2 and 3 vs. 1?
  4. Are there other alternatives I should consider?

Some additional background:
  • My details are in my signature. I am in Ann Arbor, MI.
  • The pond and spa are pebble, the pond is quartzite.
  • The pond is essentially a pool, the owner's original intent was to make it a very large koi pond. We were not sure we wanted that, so set it up essentially as an unheated pool. We still refer to it as the pond.
  • I have been pretty careful in keeping my chemicals in balance, I do not believe my pond algae and maintenance issue are operator error.
  • The pool and pond are adjacent. The pond does have a waterfall and a river that makes it somewhat more exposed to trees and pollen, but only marginally so.
  • I am pretty busy maintaining three separate systems and chemical balances, ease of operation has attracted me to alternative 1.

Appreciate any and all help and advice.

If not using it as a pond option 1 SWG is the easiest and in my opinion your best option but as you know it does cost the most upfront, all chlorine will cost about the same over a 5 to 10 year period..

My personal experience with bromine is just bad, I had white mold, black mold, algae and just nasty looking water until I switched to chlorine and then SWG, since then I have had no problems at all :)

NEVER NEVER NEVER USE A BROMINE EROSION FEEDER WITH CHLORINE TABLETS!!!!! Did I mention NEVER? Even if you rinse it down, there can still be a chemical reaction ending up in excessive heat or an small explosion. So, do not use chlorine tablets in your bromine feeder.

Option 1: converting to a salt system. You WILL Need to drain, rinse, repeat, 2-3 times to eliminate all potential bromine residual in your pool, water, and equipment. Bromine of any kind, is not good with salt systems.
Option 2: NO NO NO.
Option 3: If converting to a salt system, you won't need this option.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.