Please help with Water

TechnoGeek

Jul 13, 2016
Terre Haute, Indiana
Above Ground 15K Gal
After a Hard Rain I had to let out about 2.5 inches of water. I checked the Chlorine level it was 1 ppm the PH was 7.0
I raised the PH to 7.5 and raised the chlorine to 8 ppm other levels were TA=130 CH=325 CYA=41
The Water got very cloudy with a tint of green. I vacuumed the brown/green from the bottom each day and backwashed sand filter. I also brush everything
After 3 days I raised the chlorine 18. still the same after a few days.
Now FC=18 CC=.5 PH=7.5 TA=300 CH=130 CYA=49 Same routine vaccum,brush, backwash.
a day later (now) same readings and same water. cloudy hard to see bottom.
It is accumulating brown/green dust like on the bottom so I vacuumed it again (Daily).
What is next step? SLAM?

When I Vacuum i see a cloud being puked back into the water with the sand filter on Filter. I ran it on setting to flush to waste and after a few min my pool was down 2 inches.
So what should I have the filter setting on when vacuuming?
Seems to me that it should be to waste and forfeit the water consumption to keep from recycling the finer particulates.
waste or filter?

When I Vacuum i see a cloud being puked back into the water with the sand filter on Filter. I ran it on setting to flush to waste and after a few min my pool was down 2 inches.
So what should I have the filter setting on when vacuuming?
Seems to me that it should be to waste and forfeit the water consumption to keep from recycling the finer particulates.
waste or filter?

You can vacuum to waste if you can afford the loss of water. Raise it up ahead of time if you risk going too low and sucking air in the skimmer. Or just continue an vacuum to filter. Keep an eye on your pressure guage and backwash as necessary. Backwashing itself obviously loses water too, but probably less.

I decided to vacuum to waste. I tried to go quickly but without stirring the particulates. Looks a lot better now. Been filling it from the hose for a few hours, I'm guessing about 3 hours of hose time to get it about the right level. I'm thinking my sand filter is not filtering so well. Is it normal to get a flume of green being put back into the pools if vacuuming to filter? When I backwash it is Very green for 3-4min. so it is doing "some" filtering.

I have not performed a Deep Cleaning yet. This is the first season for the Pool and Sand filter. 1st turn on was July 7th didn't think 3 mo was enough run time yet. I am assuming it would not have buildups yet with everything so new. I do Backwash after each vacuum but probably not long enough. My discharge to waste has a clear piece of pipe so I can see the discharged water. I run it until it appears to be clear, turn off for a few seconds and turn it on again 4 or 5 times or until no bursts of dirty water. then I put on rinse for 10-15 seconds until discharge is clear then go to filter. Stopping the pump while changing filter settings.
I am "Assuming" i'm doing it right, but I may be too quick when backwashing and rinsing.

The kids used the pool this weekend and now it is murky and a lot of green residue on the bottom.
The FC never got below 10 and was 10 when I added a gallon of 10% Liquid Pool shock.
CC=0, TA=140, CH=325,CYA=48
It WAS good friday and Saturday but little cloudy Sunday and Bad Monday.
I cannot continue to vacuum to waste and my sand filter is blowing a large quantity back into the pool when on Filter mode.
should I add DE to the sand filter? or what?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't think your sand filter should be blowing debris back in... Mine didn't, and my pool was just plain gross when I started my slam.

I am confused how you get values of 49 and 48 with a TF-100 but I will assume you are approximating the distance between marks (it is better to either round up or use the closest line)

If your filter is blowing sand into your pool that is a big red flag. If the pump/filter aren't working properly the chlorine can't mix in the pool and that's when algae shows up.

I am estimating CYA about 48-49 on the tube when the Dot is not visible.
The sand filter is Not blowing any sand into the pool. It is blowing a large flume of algae or green material I am vacuuming back into the pool.
I added a filtering material mesh into the skimmer basket and it does help some but not a lot.
The Vacuuming works great when filter is set for Waste. but even when I work quickly i drop my water level about 3 or 4 inches and it takes about an hour per inch to refill by hose. this process has almost doubled my water bill last month.
Should the Sand filter on the Filter setting be sufficient for vacuuming algae?
Am I expecting too much?

I know it is working some because when I Backwash after it blows green water 4-5 minutes, and rise takes about 2 minutes to be clear.
my pressure is almost always at 13psi and has never been over 15psi. During the Vacuuming it is about 8psi
Hope I am not rambling too much, I just want to give as much info for you to be able to give a good reply.
Thank you for any assistance!!

Yes I rinse after backwashing, until discharge is clear.
But I feel the issue is I get such a high volume of algae thru the filter and back into the pool.
The pool is 18x33 and before I get 50% done vacuuming i can no longer see to bottom very well.
I continue vacuuming where I "think" needs it by keeping a pattern. then get in and brush everything. then repeat the next day.

Hi Techno, :wave:

Regarding your sand filter you could try what I do with mine. When my filter gets to 20-25% over clean pressure (in my case rises from 10 to 12) I backwash. The process I use is backwash until the clear tube, aka sight glass, shows clear water, pump off, set to rinse, rinse for 15-20 seconds, pump off, backwash again, pump off, rinse again, pump off and back to filter mode. I find I get a lot of crud out in the second backwash

I realise that you have only had the filter a short time, but I second the recommendation to undertake a deep clean of the filter. It should only take about an hour. That way you can check the sand is not channelled, you have enough sand (about 2/3 full) and that everything looks to be good condition within the filter, ie gasket seated properly etc. Also it would confirm that you have/havent been backwashing long enough because if there is no/little stuff in your filter then your backwashing is probably adequate

Once you have cleaned and checked your filter you should then be able to vacuum to filter and not see stuff blow back into your pool, saving on water top ups

hth

I called the Mfr they said the filter is operating normally. They stated that most sand filters only filter to 35 Microns.
They feel the stuff going back into the pool is smaller that 35 microns. They said most green dust on the bottom would be finer than 35 Microns. They also stated that Green Algae is always a Chemical issue not a filter issue. The green being a chemical issue is what the experts here also say. Then they told me to check for Phosphates and if needed add Phos Free once per week and shock it once per week. As far as vacuuming he said to always vacuum in waste mode and accept the loss of water since sand filters cannot filter all algae from the water. I choose to listen to the methods here not chase phosphates.

Marian, I do try to sneak up on it so it doesn't escape. Keep it surprised with the vacuum tube ride!!
I will raise the FC to 20 ppm and vacuum to waste and accept the water bill.
I will also do what caco said and also do the Filter deep clean.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.