New Pool Build in Central FL - 12/29 We have water!

Aug 18, 2016
Orlando, FL
Hola! Similar to many, we have been reading all of the posts on this site for a few months now, trying to learn everything we can about designing our new pool. Many thanks to all of the contributors for creating such a wonderful forum to exchange information on building new pools and how to take care of them once they are built. Here is our build, we are only a week into construction.

Time: 8 to 12 weeks from breaking ground
Pool Size: 14’ x 30’
Pool SqFt: 420 Sqft
Depth: 3’ to 6’
Spa: 12" raised 36 sqft with 24” spillover, (5) jets
Pool Tile: 6”x 6” Venato Treviso waterline tile.
Spa, Spa Beam, Spillover and steps/benches tile: 2” x 2” Lighstream Blue Steel glass w/ “mist” grout
Interior: Premix Marbletite Freestone Antigua Finish
Pool Light: (2) GloBrite 5g LED in pool, (1) in Spa
Pump: Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed (Energy Efficient)
Salt System: Pentair IC-40
Controller: Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless remote controller with Screen Logic
Returns: Four (4)
Filter System: Pentair cartridge filter
Cleaner: Plumbed for Vac Line
Heater: 250,000 BTU gas heater & 6 Panel Solar System
Features: (2) Pentair DeckJets with actuators
Coping: Concrete Cantilever Edge with gray strip
Decking: 600 sqft Acrylic – Color: Cabo Beach / Remove, sandblast and resurface 320sqft existing carpet flooring and demo screened lanai
Footer: 18” Turned Down Footer w/ stucco
Screen Encl.: Bronze 52”’ long w/ 10’ vertical walls, gutters, down spouts, 2 doors

Here is a picture of the pool design:

The tiles, concrete, and pool finish colors:

A picture of the yard where the pool and screen enclosure will be placed:

Good bye grass

We have a hole!

Forms going up:

Rain moved in so that is all for today.

Re: New Pool Build in Central FL

Welcome to TFP.. You will love it here.. :lovetfp:

I am a little disappointed that I can't tell you to dump the UV and Ozone systems, along with magic potion #9... that a lot of new pool owners are sold.. :cool:

Looks like you did good to me... Except, I don't see where you have purchased the most important option for your pool, the TF-100 test kit. Without it you will have no accurate way to get your chemicals under control. If you have been reading posts for several months, I don't have to tell you how important a proper test kit is...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Welcome to TFP.. You will love it here.. :lovetfp:

I am a little disappointed that I can't tell you to dump the UV and Ozone systems, along with magic potion #9... that a lot of new pool owners are sold.. :cool:

Looks like you did good to me... Except, I don't see where you have purchased the most important option for your pool, the TF-100 test kit. Without it you will have no accurate way to get your chemicals under control. If you have been reading posts for several months, I don't have to tell you how important a proper test kit is...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
LOL, Ditto.

Thr only think i would change is to go with a IC60 instead of IC40. You will be able to run the pump and SWG less. . Thus decreasing the cost of electricity and increasing the lifespan of both.

The IC40 will be ok, but the small incremental cost is probably worth it.

Howdy neighbor and welcome! I like the design. Is that a bench running along the front of the spa? We're a few weeks behind you as we are still waiting on permit and HOA approval. We're screening ours in as well - just too many bugs. Hope our daily showers stay away long enough or at least wait until the usual afternoon so you continue to make progress on your build. I look forward to following!

Thanks for the info on the test kit! I will check that out!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the warm welcome! It is a bench running along the front of the spa. It poured like crazy tonight so I don't have much hope for the rest of the week.

Congrats, some suggestions if I may?
1. Speaking from experience. Put in a double door on one of the sides. I only had one door and ended up putting in a double door and another single door on the opposite side. I should have listened to my wife
2. Plan on plumbing electrical and water for a future summer kitchen.
3. Plan on adding solar and heat pump in your equipment pad.
4. Make sure that you have a very large equipment pad.
5. Put in water spigots in all 4 corners of the screen cage both inside and outside the screen cage.
6. Put in electrical outlets in all 4 corners of the screen cage both inside and outside the screen cage.
7. Go with a large outdoor space as possible. We have 1800sq ft of pavers and we wish we did a larger space. You will be quite surprised how much room tables chairs and lounges take up.
8. Run conduits for speaker wires if you plan on wired speakers.
Look at the 3 links in my signature bar for ideas. Post lots of pics:D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: New Pool Build in Central FL - 10/17 Tile Installation in Progress!

Well after waiting for what seemed like an eternity for our Lightstream glass tiles due to "broken kilns" and whatever other excuse we were given and then enduring Hurricane Matthew, we are finally back on track and the waterline and glass tiles are going up. The waterline tile is finished, grout and all but the glass tiles still have the plastic cover on the face and have yet to be grouted. The spa coping also needs to be tiled but they should have that done tomorrow.

Re: New Pool Build in Central FL - 10/17 Tile Installation in Progress!

Well the tile is finished on the spa but I am not really happy with the inconsistent thickness of the joint between the glass tiles on the coping and those on the wall. There appears to be a physical gap and it is not grout covering the tiles. Am I being overly critical?

Re: New Pool Build in Central FL - 10/18 Tile Installation finished but not happy!

IMO there is no such thing with being overly critical. If the job is sloppy, it's sloppy. They most certainly can put the tile on with proper spacing and grout infill. Also, if there are physical holes in the job, that is not right.

To me it tells that either the wall tile or the top tile are not level... I suspect the top tile is not level as it is being layed onto the relatively rough gunite surface and in some areas there are higher sections... so instead of grinding them down and assuring it's consistently level, they're just lickin' and stickin' them on.

There's nothing wrong with pointing out displeasure with what is an eyesore to you. If you're bothered by it now, you'll be bothered by it for as long as you own the pool...

On the other hand, I LOVE how your tile is so drastically different in color depending on the angle!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.