Starting the process in South Carolina

Rokihunter

Bronze Supporter
May 20, 2016
North Augusta, SC
I have been lurking for awhile and getting ready to make the dream a reality. I live in South Carolina, across the river from Augusta Georgia. I do need to start my build soon as the lot next to me is pending and I really want to be able to access my lot from that lot to minimize damage to my yard and driveway. I have decided to go with a gunite to get the most swim area in my small yard that has a drain field, septic tank and detached garage to compete with.

So the first struggle is finding a pool builder, really only two that do gunite, one sent me their price list and cost of common upgrades. I called for a consultation but they said they are booked solid and really not interested in my business, mind you I am twenty minutes away. The other builder is the big builder in my area and communication with them is great. They also have a standard price list with standard upgrades listed. They did a site survey today, and though I did not sign a contract a did have to pay $1000 for design fees. They have good reviews and are well known in the area, but I fear it will be hard to negotiate upgrades, changes or add ons, as they are more on the expensive side, also they estimate build start end of January. It is especially busy for those who rent out their homes for The masters golf tournament. So basically I have one choice. They use Pentair equipment, I am going to get my own robot so will not need their Polaris 360 and do not want the diving board, so will try to get them to upgrade their on white light to two color LED lights. The pool will be around 32x 16 those packages start at $42,500. he is going to do two designs, one free form and the other a L shape with raised beam. I wish I had more PB to choose from to get the price down alittle, but supply and demand here is on the side of the builder. Thanks for your input and should have the designs by the end of the week to post

Well you *know* we're going to want full disclosure of all the details and pics! ohmygosh yes we need lots of pics of the construction!!

Good plan on getting a jump on the job to avail yourself of the lot access. That will make things *much* easier on everyone involved, not to mention your driveway will be spared.

Skippy and I went thru the same dilemma with the 2 pool builders in the area, and found the one we used fit our personality best and the crew ended up being really good to work with- the quality of their work I'm still in awe of when I see/read other problems people have with plumbing lay outs or details that a pool novice wouldn't be aware of yet they provided top notch service. For example, the layout of the equipment pad and pipes is clean, unions provided without us knowing we'd want them, details lke that.

I can't wait to see pics. You KNOW you can start with the back yard as it is now! LOL

At least the other company was upfront about not wanting to build your pool. It would not have been fun if they strung you along then.....

:kim:

image.jpg
image.jpg
Here is a couple pictures of the back yard. I signed up for a photobucket account but it will not let me upload pictures. I have a request in for help.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg
Here is the proposed layout

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg
Here is the quote. Please let me know what you all think. Thanks

Seems pretty reasonable to me and I really like the pool plan. I think you're going to be very pleased!

Maybe because I'm old and blind but.. I don't see where they plan on putting the equipment pad?

Yippee :flower:

I am still a newbie and havent started my build yet, but here is what I have learned the last few months regarding your build quote:

- most on this site have an exposed aggregate pool finish, at a minimum some quartz type product like Diamond Brite, if not upgrading all the way to pebble/glass. Almost all pools here in Florida get quoted with Diamond Brite or something similar so I am not sure what the normal price difference is from white plaster, but $8K feels like a lot to me for an upgrade. If this includes PebbleTec or PebbleSheen, it feels about right.

- Understand what models they are quoting you for Pentair Salt Generator and Variable Speed Pump. I made the mistake of not asking this question and I got the base models included in my contract and had to upgrade to Pentair IC60 SWG and Inteliflow VS Pump.

- Consider going larger on your equipment now vs. later. I upgraded from an IC40 to IC60 and from a CC320 filter to a CC420 filter for a few hundred bucks. Nominal in the grand scheme of the build cost. You may be slightly small with the CC320, but I will let more experienced members address that??

As for the design, very unique! The one thing I cant stress enough is DECKING, DECKING, DECKING! How do you envision using the surrounding pool deck? You have 9' on one side of the pool and 7' on the other. Why not maximize one side and trim the other? 9' is barely enough space for a table and chairs with walking clearance. Better yet, your garage is BEGGING to be converted into a pool bar/kitchen/house if you could extend your decking into the current covered concrete slab. What is the the right side of the pool in your plans? I couldnt tell from the photos.

Behind the detached garage. The pool depth will go from 3'8" to 5'8". I am contemplating taking out the light on the wall near the garage and put a spa light on the sun shelf as I feel that will be dark. The light at the shallow pointing to the deep should cover the 27 ft span. The finish will be stonescapes and I can get mini pebble for same price as regular pebble. The raised bond beam will be 8ft long and 18" high with a 48" cascade. It will be covered in glass tile. I had to add my bling somewhere ;)

I can't go any more to the right as that is my septic drain field.. My deck will be small but ok with that. It is just my husband and I right now. Waiting on grand kids! I really want the pool space more than the decking. The garage houses the hubby's boat (I have the attached garage, it has always been a dream of Mine to park in the garage ��) so that is not possible but I can install a door to the outside from my master bath so the hardwoods won't suffer. I hope the 320 cartridge can handle 473 sq ft. But will ask about the 420. Thanks

It looks like the decking does go to the concrete that is in front of the attached garage. Am I seeing that right? That will make a great seating area.

Septic-it that where the tank it? Where is the field?

I am with Madeline..........where is the equipment pad?

Lighting-make sure it is not in the swim lane. Swimming laps at night will not be fun if the light is shining right in your eyes. I like the idea of a light on the sun ledge. You do not want any of the lights shining right towards a seating area inside or outside the pool.

All of that pretty grass :( bye, bye

photo bucket-use the img code. OR you can become a supporting member. You will get a discount of your test kit and more photo storage! See the link at the top of this page.

:kim:

Yes the septic tank is sucking up deck space, the drain field is to the right of the pool. Our lot is .34 acres. I told the builder that we wanted a pool but I do not think he did a good job in designing the septic system. He could have put more drain field in the front yard. We do have a screened in porch and small pad in front of that for grilling. The drain field also limits landscaping and plantings. So will have to get creative.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update, I have decided to go with another builder and change the layout. Having troubles posting the new layout because it is in PDF format. The new builder is a lot smaller and so is the price. He has been in business for along time and has good references, he just doesn't have the showroom and overhead like the other builder does. Still looking at January dig date. The pool will be 512 sq ft and about 20,000 gallons. No spa but planning on having a tiled 18" weeping wall that is 20ft long with 3 cascades. Equipment will be all Pentair, intelliflow 3hp VS pump, Clean and Clear Cartridge( debating between 325 and 420 size), Ic40 with automation, probably will go with remote and not screenlogic and a 400,000 BTU Raypak heater. Will the easy touch4 be enough? I will have one intellibrite 5G lite and one glowbrite for the tanning ledge. Will the pump be enough for circulation and water features. I will have 6 returns, 2 skimmers and a robot for cleaning.

Where is this located in relation to the house and garage? I like how much more decking you get in this layout and the "L" shape offers various uses for the pool (lounging, laps, sports, etc). One critical comment I have is that the swimout bench feels odd on the grass side. I would either add decking to that corner or move the bench to the bottom where you have decking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes keeping the same depth. The sun shelf will be parallel and closest to the house, the feature wall will be toward the back fence and will extend the length of the back wall. Where the bench is toward the grass, that little cut in will have an uplighted palm tree. It does make sense to move it to the other side for access. I am very limited to my layout.

My dig starts tomorrow. Unfortunately my dad had a heart attach and quadruple bypass surgery yesterday and I will be leaving for Minnesota next week and will be gone about a month to help with recovery. My hubby is going to handle things while I am gone. So trying to get notes ready for him. I just became a supporter so will upload new plan and layout pictures as soon as my memory increases.

Kat-equipment will be pentair, intelliflow VS pump, IC 40 with automation, CC 420 cartridge filter and a ray pack heater.

I am SO sorry to hear about your dad :( Here is hoping all goes well with him.

Can/will your hubby sign in here on your account and ask for help if needed or just tell us what they are doing so we can guide him?

Kim :hug:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.