Catridge filters, how many years before replacing cartridge?

You should never use a high pressure nozzle to clean your cartridge. Buy the simplest, cheapest nozzle that you can find. You are looking for a pencil sized stream but not lots of pressure. Hold at 45 degree angle and wash the debris away. Never point straight into the filter if you can avoid it.

To avoid the need to clean so often, use a skimmer sock to catch the debris before is gets to the filter. There are many different types of skimmer socks available including pantyhose, paint bucket strainers, and hairnets.

You should never use a high pressure nozzle to clean your cartridge. Buy the simplest, cheapest nozzle that you can find. You are looking for a pencil sized stream but not lots of pressure. Hold at 45 degree angle and wash the debris away. Never point straight into the filter if you can avoid it.

To avoid the need to clean so often, use a skimmer sock to catch the debris before is gets to the filter. There are many different types of skimmer socks available including pantyhose, paint bucket strainers, and hairnets.

I disagree. I don't mean a pressure washer but something that makes a very strong concentrated stream.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure you can get by with a run of the mill nozzle but it'll take longer and require more effort to get the water deep into the pleats.

- - - Updated - - -

here is my personal favorite Bullseye Nozzle

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mine don't last more than a couple of years. I suspect sun screen lathered on the grandkids is a big part of the problem.
Just curious, exactly how do they fail? Do they get clogged and you can't clean them anymore? Have you tried the TSP/Acid process?

They will usually tear somewhere in between the pleats or the rubber hosing on each end may crack. At least that's what I have seen.

Yes, I am aware of how cartridge filters normally fail. However, ChuckieChan indicated sun screen was the culprit so I am interested in why that would be in his case.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.