First time pool owner, here to learn.

Aug 29, 2016
riverside
I was tipped off to this forum from a member on a different site that I frequent.

I'm a first time pool owner, and just completed having our pool remodeled. Now I'm on the hunt for advice on new pool equipment and how to handle the startup of balancing virgin water.

Hopefully in time I'll be able to contribute constructively here and return the favor to other pool newbies.:D

Welcome! I hope you enjoy your remodeled pool. We love pics!

First order of business is making sure you have one of the recommended test kits. The Tf-100 is the best value. Pool School - Test Kits Compared

If you join and donate to this website, your donation is tax deductible and you get a discount on the TF-100 (TF Test kits is a separate entity). You can post larger and more photos after you join. CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!

The speed stir helps with the speed and accuracy of testing. TFTestkits.net

ABCs of chemistry: Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Basic schedule: Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Recommended chemicals: Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

How to deal with new plaster: Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

DE filter maintenance: Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

Pool Math: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Don't forget to ask any questions, post up some test results and we can verify your chem additions... the learning curve can be steep, but once you get a handle on it will because second nature.

Welcome!

Everything you need to know is in PoolSchool. But it can be a little overwhelming at first, so here's what you need to focus on right away.

1). Use either muriatic acid or borax to lower or raise your pH into the 7.2 - 7.8 range.

2). Add some cyanunric acid (aka CYA or stabilizer) to protect your chlorine from the sun. Start with a target of 30 ppm.

3). Add enough plain unscented laundry bleach (not the splashless kind) to bring your free chlorine level up to 5 ppm. Check and add daily to keep it there, and never allow it to drop below 3 ppm.

This is all you need to worry about right away to make and keep your pool safe to swim in. Then you can take your time learning the rest.

Our methods require accurate pool testing, so please order one of the recommended test kits. This will be the best money you ever spend on your pool, and will save you gobs in the future.

Until it arrives, a cheap 3-way OTO drop test kit will help you read and achieve the levels I posted above, except for CYA. Your fill water will have zero CYA, so assume you'll have to add the full amount to reach 30 ppm.

The proper amounts to add can all be calculated with this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Good luck, and let us know if you have any questions. And order that test kit today. You'll thank me later.

I would suggest not adding any CYA until you know your current CYA level. Some PBs add some chems at start up and the CYA level could already be high or zero. Know your levels before adjusting.

You can safely add 3/4 jug of 8.25% bleach a day until your kit arrives. Wal-Mart Great Value brand is cheap, fresh and easy for most to get.

Good point! I've only ever had above ground pools that I've filled myself, so that thought never occurred to me.

That said, if you can still find the HTH 6-way kits at Wal Mart, they did include a CYA test with enough reagent for maybe 2 tests. They ran about $24 and are probably on the closeout aisle now.

Well, just tested my pool water, and right off the bat I need to lower the ph. I'm at greater than 8.2 right now.

DSCN3937_zpsjibaxq77.jpg

The pool was just finished 8/24 and filled by 8/25. The contractor said he used a start up chemical, but didn't go into specifics, but said to add some Muriatic Acid.

Nothing else has been added. I'll be speaking with him this evening to find out exactly what he put in to begin with.

Did you read the pool school article on the different plaster startup processes? You'll want to make sure whatever you do complies with the pool builder's warranty. Pool builders are horrible about chemistry, so post what he says back here. Keep a log of your test results and what you add.

You'll want to know what he added and how much. You'll probably need quite a bit of acid which you can get at home depot. They sell two different kinds, get the stronger acid 20 baum 31.45%.

What is your FC now? Generally you have less than 0.5, 0.5, 1, 2, 3, 5 or greater than 5.0.

Did you read the pool school article on the different plaster startup processes? You'll want to make sure whatever you do complies with the pool builder's warranty. Pool builders are horrible about chemistry, so post what he says back here. Keep a log of your test results and what you add.

You'll want to know what he added and how much. You'll probably need quite a bit of acid which you can get at home depot. They sell two different kinds, get the stronger acid 20 baum 31.45%.

What is your FC now? Generally you have less than 0.5, 0.5, 1, 2, 3, 5 or greater than 5.0.

Definitely keeping a log.

Have not stepped foot in the pool, brushed twice daily so far, bought a vinyl pool brush vacuum, and have followed contractors instructions so far, though they've been pretty vague.

Will be speaking with him this evening.

Read the plaster start up process from the Pool School page, among others already. A lot to absorb in a short period of time.

Appreciate all the input.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When you go to Home Depot to get the acid, make sure it says the percentage on it. I just got some last week and they had one by Kleen-Strip that had no indication of what was in it. It was a one gallon jug and I only needed about a quart so I thought about getting it instead of the box with 2 - 1 gallon jugs but changed my mind when it didn't say the percentage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.