Leaking pool pump

geocacher

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2010
Wilmington, NC
Hi al!
Water is leaking out of my pool pump. I took a picture of the area because I don't know what to call it. A few weeks ago I noticed a fine spray squirting out of the spot where I applied marine putty. I know, not the best plan. I just got in the water's way out so it made sharp right! Anyway, any advice on how to fix would be appreciated! It's coming out at the juncture where you see the glob of white marine putty.
IMG_3453.jpg

Nice to see you're bonding wire is properly attached, might want to spray some wd40 on it, let it sit a few hours then
unscrew it / clean it up to shiny metal on the both the wire and lug then re-attach.

The housing gasket is a SP1600T, it seals around the whole perimeter of where the seal plate meets the pump body. If that is leaking it can show up anywhere really. If its the internal mechanical seal (ps201) then it will show up underneath.

Thank you for all the replies! Couldn't check in from work today.
The water did originally seem to be coming from a pinhole type leak, but now it's sort of dribbling out from the juncture. My guess would be something inside not the pump body. The model number on the pump is HST150. Thanks for the tip on cleaning up the bonding wire. Didn't know what that was!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'd need to see exactly where the water is coming from to determine if its the gasket vs a pin hole. Its not the mechanical seal though, I'm certain of that one.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_3453 (1).jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The red line represents where water can get if the mechanical seal (or the seal plate itself)leaks,however I have never seen a pump leak on the top from this its always underneath the pump. The yellow line represents where water can leak when the housing gasket leaks, most of the time this also leaks under the pump and not up top, but it can.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_3453 (1).jpg Was the actual leak somewhere along this line?

Well that's pretty awesome John! I took two pics this morning when pump kicked on. You're right. It's coming from under my sad repair job. Aso notice the pool of water by the white pipe? Ugh! Sorry the pics are so big. don't know how to shrink em.

Attachments

• IMG_3462.jpg
    IMG_3462.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3461.jpg
    IMG_3461.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 32
So I've been away for 4 days and John has dropped off of this thread. Anyone have any ideas about what I'm delaing with? I need to either order parts and do the repair myself or call pool repair guy....any thoughts on what this is? Then I'll know if I am comfortable handiling repair.
thank you! Lisa

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.