Free chlorine climbing daily after cleaning Turbo Cell

Jun 29, 2016
North Adams, MA
(apologies for posting this in pool chemistry as well....please advise where it is appropriate)

Hello all-

This weekend, I decided to start taking care of the pool myself. First order of business was to clean my Hayward Turbo Cell. Bam. Done. Chlorine is getting produced. I had put it on SuperChlorinate for 24 hours after cleaning on Saturday and then switched it back to Auto.

My FC levels have been rising ever since.

Saturday 3.0
Sunday PM 6.2
Monday AM 8.5

I'm not sure what my next step should be. Turning off the SWG until I get to a good place?

Full test results:
FC: 8.5
CC: 0.@
PH: 7.5
TA: 90
Hardness: 180
CYA: 0 (i just put in 2 sock fulls of Stabilizer last night in the skimmer)​

I'd say do nothing as with that zero CYA your FC will lower itself in one good sunny day. Keep it off "super chlorinate" mode and just set it to what you think you need to run it at, and then just keep monitoring the tests to see what happens. You'll tweak the pump run times and the SWG % to maintain your FC where you desire it.

How much CYA did you add? How much were you striving to get your CYA up to?

If ever you need an instant boost in FC, just use bleach. Its faster and less wear and tear on the SWG.

Hey there. Thanks for responding. I added 4 lbs. don't really have a goal but i had zero. Will pick some more up today. I haven't really learned to manage chlorine production with the pump. The pool company had taken care of everything. I guess that's next -- perhaps having the pump run on low for a while.

But since my CYA was zero yesterday, why did my FC go up? It has been super hot and sunny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, well, I don't have an explanation but at least its gone up and not down! Yay! :kim: <--TFP's Kim rooting you on!

So per PoolMath, 4# of CYA will bring you up to 20ppm (assuming you were truly at zero to start with). You will need more. How high are you planning on taking it considering your season is coming to a close soon, right? Will you be closing the pool down and covering it soon?

For reference here is the cya/chlorine chart to guide you on where you keep your FC level based on x amount of CYA--> [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Ok, well, I don't have an explanation but at least its gone up and not down! Yay! :kim: <--TFP's Kim rooting you on!

So per PoolMath, 4# of CYA will bring you up to 20ppm (assuming you were truly at zero to start with). You will need more. How high are you planning on taking it considering your season is coming to a close soon, right? Will you be closing the pool down and covering it soon?

For reference here is the cya/chlorine chart to guide you on where you keep your FC level based on x amount of CYA--> [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Ill be closing the pool down in a month or so. Last week of September. Yup. I'm going to add some more this afternoon. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.