Drop-in filtration system

Aug 28, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
I am thinking about buying or building an above ground pool. The ones I have looked at have a skimmer mounted on the side and a return line mounted on the side. No bottom drain, so they must be vacuumed.

Would it be possible to build a system, using PVC pipe, that just hung over the side of the pool (or sat on a deck next to the pool)? There would be no holes cut in the liner. One pipe would come over the edge and have an elbow parallel with the water level. This would be the skimmer. Another pipe would run down to the bottom of the pool (similar to a bottom drain). These pipes would run to a pump and filter, and return line would be another PVC pipe going over the side of the pool and down a couple feet into the water.

The pump would have to be self-priming (maybe a special kind). The PVC could be painted blue to match the liner. The whole system could be easily removed in the winter.

Why doesn't anyone do this type of system? I think it would be a big advantage to not have any holes in the liner. I'm new to pools, please enlighten me.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!

The way you describe the "skimmer" will not work since it would pull in air and starve the pump.

The floor would "work" but would be a safety hazard without the proper anti entrapment cover.

Thank you for replying. You have some good points.

The skimmer could have a U-shaped tube on it, similar to the P-trap under a sink. I think that would keep water in the pipe at all times.

I am aware of the entrapment issue. The "bottom drain" would have to have 2 pipes that are 3 ft apart. That way if a child blocks one of the inlets, the suction will go to the other pipe. And have a guard on each pipe to keep someone from getting too close.

The whole system could also be shut off or taken out of the pool for a couple hours if there were a lot of people in the pool.

A u shaped skimmer pipe is also not going to work. Likely a vortex would be created and pull in air. If you had it low enough under the water to prevent that, it will not suck in surface debris.

A pair of holes in the liner is much safer than a network of pipes in the water. Something or someone is going to smash into or grab onto the plumbing and it's going to damage something which might not even be in the pool- then your pump could wind up draining your pool down to the level of your bottom drain and pouring it all right outside the pool, undermining the structure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.