New build in MA

Gpope

Jul 12, 2015
Melrose, MA
Hello Everyone!

My wife and I have decided that we we are going to start the process of putting in a pool but we are a little new to what is needed to get started. We are not tied to a design but we want a in-ground gunite. My question to you is where did you guys start, did you just start calling PB's? We are not sure of our property lines especially our back side as our house backs up to town land (woods), should we get it surveyed first or is this something the PB does? While we are on the subject of PB's does anyone have an suggestions on ones in MA. While searching many people don't mention who they are using. Anything helps, thank you.

Geoff & Tara

The more "wants" you can describe to your pool builder, the easier it will be for him/her to make it happen.

Is the pool for lounging or actual swimming? Do you want to be able to dive (have it deep enough) or just a sports pool (a more shallow pool).

How curvy and artistic do you want the shape.... or is simpler better to you?

Do you want to invest in an autocover for safety? How about water features like fountains? Do you want a spa?

I'd suggest looking on Pinterest and getting some ideas of pools. Also here you can look at folks pretty pools on TFP.

Do you want to maintain the pool yourself (easy peasy really!) or have someone else do it? How do you want to sanitize your water? I would only suggest looking at SWGs or liquid chlorine, avoid Bacqau (ugh!) and avoid UV/Ozone devices.

Get a survey FIRST. Identify any easements or setback requirements. Do you have an HOA? Where are your utilities? Once you have these answers you'll know what you CAN do. THEN it is a matter of choosing what you WANT to do.

I too would want to have a pretty good idea of the size / shape, etc that you are looking for before you talk to any builders. Otherwise, alot of time will be wasted and you will have larger variations in what the builders propose making it very difficult to compare. That also adds alot of time to the estimation process.

Echoing many thoughts above, and also adding a timeline component:

I strongly encourage you to spend a few months researching all sorts of pool related details (here, elsewhere online, from people you know who have or built pools, etc.) Feel free to use us as your consultant to bounce any and all ideas off of. It's a really good idea to have one source that you trust (TFP can be that) where you get feedback on the things you hear elsewhere. There will be numerous times you get conflicting information in your research and the folks here have been there and done that - and are willing and able to assist.

Regarding a project timeline, I'd get deep into research now, including researching PB's (without contacting PB's yet). Then by mid-October, schedule your onsite meeting with 3-5 PB's. Sign your contract by December and be on the beginning of their list for the spring. Some will likely want to start early (late winter). Then if all goes as planned, you'll be complete by the beginning of swim season (Memorial Day weekend). You may use a heater which might push that date forward in future years, but don't plan on it the first spring because you have to wait 30 days after plaster to use it anyway.

Regarding a method to organize your research, I'd create a system (Excel file, notebook, whatever) to segregate the data into the following areas (which I'm not wedded to):

• Aesthetic / Design Likes & Dislikes
  • Construction Details
  • Site Details
  • Pool Builders
  • Financing

Under each of those you will have 5-10-20-100, who knows how many, questions/sub-topics to think about. And then you will also add links, thoughts, other peoples comments, topics to address in each section.

Then when you meet with each PB, you will have a comprehensive list of details to go over with each one that has been narrowed down. How you present that to the PB's is personal. I chose to create a several page list of project specifications for them to bid on. Some adhered to it very tightly, others veered some, mostly on equipment which was ok. That process helped me to get much more comparable bids from the PB's. This process doesn't work so well for those either not willing to put in the time up front or who have no idea what kind of pool they want until the PB's make suggestions.

Best of luck and ask away. We find it best if you ask all of your questions in one thread (this thread) so that anyone answering who wants details on previous discussions, can easily find them. Some do start separate threads on things but I generally don't find that the best way since building a pool is million interconnected issues, not one-off question/answers.

Quick Update - I wanted to post a picture of the backyard and the wife and I keep having more and more discussions about the pool and what we want. We are noticing that there are a lot more options out there for lined pools than there you used to be. We each had pools growing up, I had a gilbraltor above ground pool and she had a gunite. We were originally going to go with a gunite pool but looking at the different options of lined pools and the price we are now looking at those as well. We don't like the look of the white plastic stairs so it would have to be a steel step lined pool.

Another note we found a surveyor and will start that process today. I also talked to the town today (Melrose, MA) and it seems we will have a few more obstacles than most as we have a shallow backyard. Its 80 feet wide but not very deep. We will need to get a variance to get the size we want (more than 10ft). In the picture I believe we only own up to the edge of the grass, according to the plot document we have now anything past the grass going to the rock wall is conservation land owned by the town.

More to follow...
backyard 3.jpg

We just completed our pool build in Needham. We used Pools by Andrews and could not be happier with how it came out. Similar to you we have a narrow depth on our lot. Needham is very strict and would not allow any variances. We had the as built survey done first with a pool envelope drawn on it so we knew where we could build. I then met with 5 local builders giving them each a copy of the survey prior to our meeting. This way they were able to have ideas in mind prior to our meeting. We went with a liner pool. We did not care for the look of the white fiberglass steps so we went with the liner over steps. Andrews included in the contract paver coping. Our pool looks stunning! Does not look cheap at all, which some people think liners can be. Here a link to my construction thread. I need to add the completed pics, but close enough. PM me if you have any questions.

Rmclain - those are the type we would like to see if we went with the loner option. Thank ou for the post.

We are more and more interested in the vinyl liner route as it may give us more of a budget to put in a fire pit, nicer patio and maybe a cabana of some sort.

On a different topic can you have tile installed just above a liner? We don't necessarily like the option of fake tile that comes with the liner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm also starting my pool build. I chose to get a borderless liner (floor pattern all the way up) I didn't want the tile look either. I've read on here, that some people think it makes the pool appear larger. I'm not sure if you can add real tile above. Congrats on your decision to build a pool!
Rmclain - those are the type we would like to see if we went with the loner option. Thank ou for the post.

We are more and more interested in the vinyl liner route as it may give us more of a budget to put in a fire pit, nicer patio and maybe a cabana of some sort.

On a different topic can you have tile installed just above a liner? We don't necessarily like the option of fake tile that comes with the liner.

18k is how many gallons the pool is. Not the cost :) that being said I would have no issues going over that I paid for it via PM. Yes, Family Pools was/is great to work with. I actually recommended them to another person that was from here and he was happy as well.

We also have a signed contract and deposit with Family Pools. We are scheduled for their first install in the spring once the ground thaws. My parents got their pool from them in the house I grew up in and never had any issues. Know a few others that have used them and all been happy.

So, things are moving quicker than I expected. I went and called one PB to see when I should be reaching out to get things started for next year and he said NOW! I told him I still don't have the survey and he didn't have an issue with starting the conversation. So with all that said, what do I need to have thought through for the initial meeting? The idea is to have a back yard that we can call our own oasis and be happy at every day in the summer and winter. Current requirements...

Liner Vs. Gunite (not 100% sure)
Spa
Firepit (Gas or Otherwise, might be a town issue with gas)
Heater
If liner
no white steps or ladders
border less liner
Black granite liner (or similar)
glass tile above liner
paver or concrete around pool (something that doesn't get hot)
Fence
2-3 LED lights
Shed or similar to house pool equipment
Equipment???

This is all I have for now, I only have 2 PB's in mind so I wouldn't mind hearing other suggestions in the MA area if anyone has them. PM me if you dont feel comfortable saying their name. Anything I am missing?

I mentioned above a pretty detailed way to approach the process, with some thoughtful input. I didn't note a reply. I would pull up many of the new construction threads and look at the detailed quotes. You want to understand and be able to talk about each line item in those and how they apply to your build. In those threads you'll see many comments about topics to discuss with PB's. Then work those into my approach is my suggestion. I think you may have jumped the gun a bit on the process for the most efficient way to handle the task.
Choosing a liner is not a front line decision.
Liner vs gunite is a crucial decision that needs to be made first as it will lead you down one path of issues/questions versus a different path of them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.