Can't get any bromine established in my spa

Jul 6, 2016
Memphis, TN
After draining and refilling my spa, I can't seem to get any bromine to register. I've added sodium bromide, an oxidizer (shock) and it's had a brominator floater running wide open in there for more than a week.

Still zip on bromine. I am using test strips because my kit hasn't arrived yet, but I've had my local pool shop confirm. 0.0 total bromine.

PH and alkalinity was little low and they had me add 6oz of baking soda.

(one side note, my heater is not working and scheduled for repair this week, water temp is about 90 degrees and obviously no one has been in the spa since it was drained)

What could be causing this? Could it be related to my bad heater?

The only thing I can imagine is a huge load of contaminate (biofilm in your plumbing/filters?) that is using all your sanitizer.
I would do a thorough cleaning using Ahh-Some, then drain/refill again. (I have no affiliation with that company)

Yes, I've read that post and I feel like I'm following its instructions.

I guess I did leave out an important piece of the puzzle where my hot tub did sit idle for a several days after I refilled it because the heater was causing the GFCI to trip. Took me several days to figure that out so even though no bathers entered the spa, contaminants could've been building during that time period and now I'm fighting them off.

After continuing to add shock, I did see my test strips slightly begin to indicate bromine last night so maybe I'm finally catching it back up.

I would.
The Ahh-Some will create foam on the surface of your water. If the foam has some brown in it you will smile and be glad that you used it. If no brown is seen you will still enjoy the peace of mind from knowing that your spa is "sterile" and safe to use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.