Help replacing liner

Jun 4, 2009
question new to the forum, i have a older pool with a liner that i am replacing .my problem is a have a couple of big holes near the drain and the bend to the floor in the deep end . the house is located on a island and the water table is high ,i have been draining the pool now for about a week, hoping to get most of the water in the area dried up i can pump the pool down to a couple of inches . but the water and sand flow up threw the holes are pretty strong i have been trying to patch the holes with hydo cement but to no use i have even tried to fill up old panty hose with the hydulic cement and stuff in into the hole to keep it from washing away and getting it a chance to set up just doesnt work . looking for advise

You may need to dig some dry wells around the pool and put sump pumps in them to get the water table low enough to be able to replace the liner. There is also some chance that the dry wells are already there from when the pool was originally installed, though they might have installed it during a dryer time of year.

Welcome to TFP!!

I have to deal with ground water all the time when dropping liners. What we do, when there is no well point, is dig a hole in the bottom, line it with gravel, put a sump pump in the hole and fill the hole with more gravel. Let the pump run a couple of days, until the water is out of the bottom, then turn it off and see how long it takes for the water to get back up to the pool floor. The time it takes to get back up into the pool is the time you have to patch the hole in the floor with hydrolic cement and then set and get a LOT (like 6 - 12 ") of water into the pool, we always set the liner with trucked in water.

I'll be happy to help you through this and tell you the tricks we use to set a liner more quickly when you're on a tight schedule :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.