Programming a Hayward Ecostar pump with an Aqua Logic control panel and a T-15 cell

Aug 28, 2016
Gilbert
Hello guys.. great forum that I've benefiting from for a while and today I decided to join and post :)

Facing a situation I need your help with..

I just replaced old equipment with a new Hayward SP3400VSP and a new T-15 cell.
The guy who installed the pump connected the data cable but still programmed the pump locally for a single speed.. which made no sense to me.
Then the power company sent a guy to calibrate the pump and he did some math based on size of pool then re-programmed the pump (not the panel) to alternate speeds and to work 6 hours during night and 4 before noon (which I like.. and he seemed very knowledgeable).
For that to happen, the filter timer on the panel needs to cover the 2 time windows so pump would have power when needed.

However, I think that setup is causing the cell not to make chlorine because it is not detecting flow when power is connected prior to pump run.. and my guess is confirmed because chlorine level keeps going down.

Is that a bad setup... Should I program the whole thing thru the panel? Any other advice?

Thanks!

With a vsp, the automation should be set for a vsp. The vsp should be powered directly and not through a relay. Then the automation can tell the pump when to turn on and off and at what speed to run. It will also know when it's ok to turn on the cell because it knows when the pump is on.

What is the software revision? Go to diagnostics and press the > button to get the main software revision.

If the installer hooked up the EcoStar with a data cable and as long as the Aqua Logic is the right software revision it should work from the controller. It needs to be 2.65v or higher. You can see the software revision in the diagnostic part of the Aqua Logic.

The T-15 cell needs around 17gpm to activate. If it is not generating chlorine check the configuration for Chlorinator to see if it is set up properly. Check diagnosis to see if there is a problem.

Thanks guys..
I did program timers thru the Aqua Logic panel and the pump starts for 3 minutes then shuts off... and I get a "Chlorinator Off, No flow" message.
I bypassed the pump relay to allow contentious power delivery to pump, then I mirrored the timers on both. I allowed the the pump to start 15 before and finish 15 minutes after each cycle. I hoped that would eliminate the no flow message, but I'm still getting it, and chlorination is still off.
I'm now thinking a sensor could be the source of the problem.

You have to go to configuration in the aqualogic and select variable speed pump. Go to configuration and press both <> for about 5 seconds to unlock. Go to view filter setup and change from single speed pump to variable speed pump.

Then, you have to set the pump for remote control. It should be in the pump manual how to set for automation control. Go to the remote control mode screen and choose Standalone/Hayward and then set the com bus address to pool filter. This tells the pump that the automation is in control.

For data, #7 COMBUS at pump goes to #2 on the remote display plug (green 4-wire plug) and #8 combus at pump goes to #3 on the remote display plug at top left of aqualogic main board.

When the pump comes on, does it prime and run ok right away?

Possibly. You can take out the sensor, plug the hole with a 1/2" plug, turn on the system and then close the switch by hand. If it still says no flow, replace the flow switch.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.