Closing pool, plugging the return line opening?

Cain

Aug 27, 2015
West Fargo, ND
Looking to start the process of closing the pool this year as water temps are at 55 degrees, so I figure its going to be soon here.

Anyway, the cover I got last year was too small as I was looking at the wrong guide and its one that sits on top the water and lets water through. In theory it worked well, but since it was so short it bowed and tore slightly.

Looking at my pool, I am wondering if I plug the return opening, could I leave the water level at a place I feel will let the cover sit better. It would still be about a 12 inch overall drop and the return line would be plugged. Last year it didn't rise up much when froze.

is this is possibilty?

I made and used these to close and it worked great :)

oFLAoTPh.jpg

gpZuksjh.jpg

here they are installed
aDjJtAAh.jpg

so the snorkels are basically at the top of your waterline? If so, pretty cool setup :) what is the black part needed for?

For the skimmer I plug it fully like I am thinking for the return. As it sits though I may just order the right sized cover but go with one that says that its made to have water / snow sit on top of it to hold it down . with the wind here, maybe that is the better option.

its this one:

Winter Pool Cover Above Ground Arctic Armor 8 year Warranty | PC Pools

the black pieces (1.5 inch plug) are so water does not go into the pipe after I blew the water out with my shop vac :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.