Filter Pressure with Glass Media

denniswiseman

Bronze Supporter
Nov 27, 2014
United Kingdom
My pressure through my sand filter which is now glass media is 18PSI
I'm experiencing fine particles on the pool floor
I used quiet a bit of DE as previously advised starting of with a cup then adding more but the pressure didn't rise and the fine particles seemed to go straight through the filter media when vacuuming, clouding the pool again
I checked inside hoping to see a coating over the glass media but there was nothing
After backwashing I vacuumed to waste OK
My query is, does the initial high pressure force the DE and fine particles through the media and should I try to put a restriction on the flow to the filter

I have recycled glass media which is working very well now, but if I had it to do over, I would use normal pool filter sand.

When my filter was new, I don't think it was doing a very good job. I have no proof or anything, but it seems to be working better now. When it was new, I learned to let it run for a few days on low speed to allow it to get a bit dirty, before using a higher speed on the pump. I added the DE much later, so I'm guessing that it gradually filled in with fines at the early stages.

So if I were in your shoes, I'd try running it at a lower flow rate for a few days. If you don't have a two speed or variable speed pump, it's better for the pump to throttle the flow on the return side rather than the suction side of your pump.

It is normal to have lower pressure with a smaller pump. Pool filters operate more efficiently at lower pressure. Changing the pipe might slightly lower the pressure further. But, I don't think it is worth the effort.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.