Flow Regulator Vac Serious Problems Need Help !!!!!!

Jul 22, 2016
San Francisco
I can only show you in pics since I may have the terminology all mixed up as I am a pool novice.
I have a much older Hayward vac which looks like this:
Amazon.com : Hayward 2025ADC PoolVac XL Automatic Suction Pool Cleaner for Concrete Pools : Swimming Pool Suction Cleaners : Patio, Lawn Garden

My skimmer has 2 holes in it leading to the pump. One of them has something which looks exactly like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Zodiac-W6005...6_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FV15TYFQ3X5224X7N3M6

It seems the purpose of this device is to close up and so the vac can suck water in.
Lately its been opening up inadvertently causing the vac not to work and a rush of water into the opening creating a sucking noise I can hear from far away inside my house. I checked and the springs are still tight. Seems to have three settings. I thought moving it to the other three extreme setting would prevent it from opening to let in water. IT still opened up despite the change in setting. While tinkering with it the red latch came off. I left it off and it seems to be doing OK so far (30 minutes ago). In trying to find out what the device is for I came across that is is for Barracuda vacs. As I said I have a Hayward vac. Should I replace it with what is below? BTW the device has been there since I bought the home 5 years ago. Off and on have had problems with it.

Should I replace it with this? Do I need a new one of the above despite the fact its would be OK if I put the red plastic piece back on? Why is it opening? BTW the pool water level is OK IMO.
Amazon.com: Hayward V094P Automatic Pool Cleaner Regulator Valve for All Hayward Suction Cleaners: Patio, Lawn Garden

This is a regulator valve used by Zodiac Pool cleaners. By moving the disc from one position to another it will either open the bypass or keep it closed by a matter of tension. Depending on pump size and system pressure you will put it into one of three positions to run cleaner and not starve the pump. The sucking noise is either because your water level may be to low or it's starting to vortex in the skimmer. Actually this regulator is one of many suction cleaner hookups and is probably better than Haywards regulator

My water level gets too low when the regulator opens up. Seems it opens up and gets stuck so water goes through the opening. Do I need a new one? IT feels really tight and the spring is OK. The red piece came off due to my tinkering of it when it was in the skimmer. Can easily put it back in. I found with the red piece removed it remains closed or more closed. There is still a gap where water is drawn in so its not completely via the vac hose. Should I be using Zodiac stuff when my vac is a Hayward?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.