Last water test:
Salt: 3600
TA: 130
PH: 8
CyA: 30
CH:330
TC:2.8
FC:2.8

I am getting large white flakes on bottom of pool. I tasted one and do not think it is 'salt'. Seems smooth to the touch. I know the PH/TA is high in last test but I sually keep it pretty good. One other item is on the bottom there has been some rough bumps that has developed - looks like a wad of something got stuck to the floor - Local pool company has no clue - they recommended that I vacumn to waste get ph/ta in balance and see if happens again. I saw same thing last year and thought it was because I was putting in too much acid. These appear day after I vacummed whole pool. Is this chemicals reforming and solidifying or is it the plaster dissolving and resolidfying? any help would be appreciated.

You may or may not see calcium on the SWG cell. Since it is early in the season, most of the CH might still be coming off as flakes and not had time to really accumulate in the cell.

CH scaling is very sensitive to the PH. Your PH is too high. You need to get the PH down. Once you get the PH down, the white flakes will probably stop.

I'm having the exact same problem, but the calcium buildup is actually visible on my SWG cell. I treat it every few months with diluted muriatic acid bath, but never get all of it off. My problem is that I think my water is balanced correctly (PH 7.6, TA 90, CYA 80), but I still have the flakes. You can actually see them coming out of the returns. I do have high CH (600+), but I've read on this site that this is still a manageable level. Were you able to solve your problem? If so, I'd love to hear how.

g6gang said:
Pool: 14,000 gallons - Plaster (white) - 3 years old - North Carolina
Salt Water generator (pentair IC 40)
Filter - Cartridge (pentair)

Last water test:

TA: 130
PH: 8
CyA: 30
CH:330

I am getting large white flakes on bottom of pool.d.
Raise your CYA to 80, lower your TA to 70 and keep your pH below 7.8. Once you get the CYA and TA in line the pH control will be easier and you should see less of a problem with the flakes.water-balance-tips-for-a-swg-t3663.html

agenterf said:
I'm having the exact same problem, but the calcium buildup is actually visible on my SWG cell. I treat it every few months with diluted muriatic acid bath, but never get all of it off. My roblem is that I think my water is balanced correctly (PH 7.6, TA 90, CYA 80), but I still have the flakes. You can actually see them coming out of the returns. I do have high CH (600+), but I've read on this site that this is still a manageable level. Were you able to solve your problem? If so, I'd love to hear how.
In your case I would lower the TA even more (to about 60 ppm), consider adding borates to 50 ppm, and NEVER let the pH run above 7.6. If you can keep it at 7.4 it might even be better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.