TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I noticed earlier today, while I was answering a post, that Apollo sells 60ml quantities of standardized pH, CYA, CH and TA solutions. I can't see any real benefit to having the TA or CH, since they are color change tests, but I suspect some new folks would like having them to help them know that they are doing the CYA and pH tests correctly. I'd even like to try the CYA solution myself, just for the heck of it.

I thought about posting this in the mod forum first to get input, but I thought input from everybody might be good on this. I guess that lets everybody know what kind of exciting, secret things we talk about in the mod forum. :sleep:

Dave, are these Taylor products, can you get them, could you sell them at a reasonable price?

Everybody else, would it be worthwhile to have them available (assuming they can be made available in a way that is reasonable for Dave? I believe they sell for $5 Canadian on Apollo's site.

Taylor sells them, but only in fairly large bottles.

R-7062-E Buffer Solution pH 7.6
R-7063-E Hardness Standard 200 ppm
R-7064-E Alkalinity Standard 100 ppm
R-7065-E Cyanuric Acid Standard 50 ppm

They have a couple of others as well, salt and TDS calibration solutions for electronic meters.

I could get them from Taylor and repackage them into more "user friendly" quantities. (and I've considered it.)

My reluctance has been that newbies (and you know by know I do not mean that term derogatorily) would simply not understand the value of adding them to their order.

Obviously, the kit purchasers are 85-90% newbies and they are just getting their feet wet in pool water chemistry....still trying to understand just what CYA does and why does the chlorine disappear, etc.

At that skill level, I don't think many of them would understand how they could benefit from a testing standard.....they have no familiarity with the tests.

I certainly could be wrong and am interested in what others think.

duraleigh said:
My reluctance has been that newbies (and you know by know I do not mean that term derogatorily) would simply not understand the value of adding them to their order.

Obviously, the kit purchasers are 85-90% newbies and they are just getting their feet wet in pool water chemistry....still trying to understand just what CYA does and why does the chlorine disappear, etc.

At that skill level, I don't think many of them would understand how they could benefit from a testing standard.....they have no familiarity with the tests.

I think you are right that many people wouldn't know they'd want or need it. It seems like so often people doubt their ability to read those tests, many of them would get a big dose of confidence from having a "test test" available.

I am a lurker for a long time and newbie trying out BBB this year for my newly replastered (and coping and tile) pool. I bought the TF-100 kit and have been using it for 3 days. The #1 issue I have is lack of confidence in my test results. If I had something that was an inexpensive add-on that assured me that I was testing and reading those tests properly, I would use it.

I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone on this forum for their help. I used to use test strips and only care if my pool was "swimmable". Now that I sank a ton of $ into the refinishing of that pool I want to be sure I take care of it so it lasts as long as possible and we get the best out of it season after season. This forum gives me the confidence that I can take total control of my pool. :cheers:

Thanks again,
John

Yeah, um.... :oops: Not a newbie here... :oops: but um....I'm lost. What are you talking about "standardized testing" --- reminds me of back in grade school....all this talk of standardized testing....I'm missing something.... :oops:

frustratedpoolmom said:
Yeah, um.... :oops: Not a newbie here... :oops: but um....I'm lost. What are you talking about "standardized testing" --- reminds me of back in grade school....all this talk of standardized testing....I'm missing something.... :oops:

My understanding is that the water in the "standardized test" is definately "X" ppm so that when you run your test that is the ppm you should see. It is a way to test if you are doing it correctly and that your reagents are good. If I just taught the frustrated pool mom (who I have learned alot from) something then WOW. :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.