AG 15x30x54 in NE GA - 3rd pool - first time on own! I'm Scared.

Snail

Aug 28, 2016
NE Georgia
Hi, y'all. I've just completed construction of my oval above ground pool and am researching what chemicals to add to get it started. There are so many sites with general info, but no specifics. Then I found this site, and now I'm scared to death. I bought a start up chemical kit with my pool and some chlorine tabs from walmart, but after reading some posts here, none of those should be used! I'm dizzy from all the info. Can someone please walk me through what to do with my pool step by step. I put two tabs in yesterday just to put a little chlorine in the system (water has been in for 2 days now). So, I what? Bury liquid chlorine and add or do I put in a stabilizer and get it up to level first. I have a two vile test kit that tests alkalinity and chlorine levels, I understand I will have to get a more comprehensive one. ??? so lost and scared to mess up from the start. :drown:

snail! HI! I am SO glad you found us! We will have you a pool pro in no time!!!

Yeah it IS a lot of info! Lets do this step by step okay?

Okay first off go here to order a good test kit:

TFTestkits.net

The two test kit you have, are you SURE the on is alkalinity? I think it might be a PH test instead. Let me know for sure.

I have a set of links I set up for new pool owners. I think you will find them helpful.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Until your test kit gets there you should use Pool Math (in links above) to find out how much CYA (stabilizer) to put in. Go ahead and get some. Let us know when you have it so we can tell you how to add it (do NOT follow the directions on the bottle).

Each evening you should add a jog of chlorine with the pump running to mix it in. This will keep your water from turning green until we can get your pool balanced with the test kit.

:kim:

You are correct it is pH and CL. the instruction sheet says "test kit for chlorine, bromine and alkalinity (pH) control" So that is where I got the alkalinity from.

When I tested the water yesterday (Pre-chlorine tab add) it was clear for the chlorine and at the 6.8 level for the pH. I put two CL tabs in the auto chlorinator and put the pump on high speed.

I'll re-review the links you posted and have ordered a new test kit.

I'm a bit crowd blind, meaning it is hard for me to focus in when there is so much information (tons of items at grocery store, people in a crowd, etc.) So I always use lists and bullet points to keep myself focused and to clearly understand steps.

I went to the pool math. I didn't know what numbers to put in as I only know the pH (6.8) and CL (.5ish) and CYA (0)

I will do this a step at a time.....I hear you on being crowd blind. It IS a lot of info.

Here is a chart on TFP recommended levels for each pool type. Please note this will NOT match the pool store and most pool builders as they are still using the old standards.

Pool School - Recommended Levels

TFP used science to come up with our levels. We have all of the tests and articles in links if you want to read them. Also know that all of this has been daily tested in THOUSANDS of pools (including mine LOL). We are always finding different and better ways to do stuff.

On example is the CYA(stabilizer). The bottle says to pour it in the skimmer. Well we have found it is best to put it in a sock (yeah like you wear) and hang it in front the return. That way you KNOW when it is all dissolved and in the water.

Looking at your stuff the only one you need to use right now is the PH increaser. With your PH at 6.8 you need to bring it up to 7.5 for right now. See what the PH up is made of and post that here. We will be able to let you know how much to add.

Using Pool Math see how much CYA you need to bring your CYA to 30. You are going to have to buy that I am sorry to say.

Think of CYA as sun screen for your FC (Free chlorine). Without CYA your FC will be used up by the sun FAST.

You also need to find your best buy for liquid chlorine/bleach (same stuff just different %). What is your best cost and is easy to get to?

You need to get some FC in your pool ASAP and keep it at the recommenced level at all times or you risk algae growing in your pool.

SO here are your steps:

-PH-get it up to 7.5

-CYA-buy and add enough to get it up to 30

-FC-get it up to your level and keep it there.

That will get you set until your test kit gets there!

:hug: How are you feeling now? Too much? Just right? Let me know so I can tailor my style for you.

That is fabulous thanks. We had to take the pump off today for the landscapers to put down gravel to control mud. Putting it back on this evening and will dump that chlorine in tonight along with CYA in a sock and pH up per your instructions (when you respond)

pH increaser: only listed ingredient is active ingredient Sodium Carbonate

That PH increaser = soda ash as seen here:

"Raising PH

PH can be raised in three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration. Borax is usually the best choice. Borax raises the PH and also raises the TA level just a little. If your TA level is low soda ash will raise both the PH and TA levels. If your TA level is high, aeration is best as it will not raise the TA level at all. However, aeration is rather slow compared to the other two.

Borax is available as 20 Mule Team® Borax Natural Laundry Booster. It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. Borax is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return.

Soda ash is available as ARM & HAMMER® Super Washing Soda Detergent Booster. Do not confuse this with ARM & HAMMER® laundry detergent! It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. It is also sold by pool stores under various names, including PH Increaser, PH Up, Balance Pak 200, etc. Soda ash is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return.

Aeration can be provided by a SWG, spa jets, waterfall, fountain, return pointed up so it breaks the surface, air compressor, kids splashing, rain, etc. It can take some time for aeration to raise the PH. The higher your TA level, the faster aeration will work."

Have you played with Pool Math at all yet?

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

When I punched in your numbers as I knew them I get that you should add 30oz. by volume of the PH up.

Yea for no more mud!!!!

Welcome Snail :) I love your avatar!

If you can please return that "start up kit" to wherever you bought it. It's full of things you may never need so why pay top dollar for them to sit unused taking up space in your life?? We're all about only using that which is actually needed and in the amount needed. And we like to buy the exact same products but from the grocery store or hardware store and stay away from pool stores. For example-Alkalinity Increaser is just really expensive *baking soda*!! Not that a pool store is going to admit that, amirite?? ;)

You might want to check out Wallyworld or Costco (even Publix) for bleach- Lowes tends to have low turn over and they store it outside in the heat and sun which weakens it a lot. You want to make sure you're getting fresh bleach/liquid chlorine so check those date codes!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got my test kit. :kim: So I tested the pool; it was so fun. Here are the numbers.

FC = .5
cc = .5
CH = 150 ppm (calcium hardness test)
TA = 60
CYA = 0 (sock still not empty)
pH = 7.7 or 7.8

Ok. Bleach (liquid chlorine) was stored outside, but under a roof against the building. No sun.

I've run it through pool math..

The bleach is a given, but they want me to add muric acid, baking soda and calcium chloride? is CH on pool math the calcium hardness test?

Last edited:
Nooooo, Pool Math doesn't want you to add MA with a pH of 6.8!! Notice that the left hand column says what you have NOW, and the right is where you input what your own TARGET level is. I told PoolMath to take you up to 7.4 so it showed me how much Borax *or* washing soda to use. I go with Borax as it seems easier for folks to find (in the laundry aisle of the grocery store).

Go get some Borax to get that pH up pronto. Aprox 95 ounces of Borax should bring you up to about 7.4 pH.

Don't worry about the CH as your pool being vinyl doesn't require any.

Addendum: No more bleach from Lowes, 'k? We want fresh, strong, virulent killer bleach!! :shark:

My bad.. the pH is 7.7 or 7.8 I corrected the last post so they are all in the same vein. So besides bleach, add anything else? I used borax in the amount suggested by pool math before (minus a little because it was a slightly used box.

My bad.. the pH is 7.7 or 7.8 I corrected the last post so they are all in the same vein. So besides bleach, add anything else? I used borax in the amount suggested by pool math before (minus a little because it was a slightly used box.

<whew!!> yay. glad. <wipes brow of sweat worrying that pH was 6.8 and someone might put MA in the water> :calm:

Nope. I'd say things look pretty darn good! Go forth and buy that bleach, baby! :cool: