mom's pool has algea?

wet_labrador

Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2016
new jersey
background:

24Kgal pool. 16'x38' vinyl, steel wall. trichlor puck float for chlorination. using my tf-100 test kit.

FC: 10
CC: 0
CYA: 60
TA: 60
PH: 6.8

problem:

there are some yellowish/green looking deposits that using her older pool brush i can't scrub off and i'm strong. the water is otherwise clear. i'm colorblind, so i may be off on the color.

also, it may not be visible, but the walls have a green tint to them that the floor does not. (the vinyl is blue, so the walls should look blue). again, i'm colorblind.

here are some pics:

moms yellow deposits - Album on Imgur

CYA is a little low for a swg. PH is also a little low. Maybe some borax now, then the rest later..... and it's SLAM time!

Once your water is better balanced, those stains may start to be diminished at least.

Have you tried a stiff deck brush on them? They look organic so chlorine is the answer.

Has this pool been neglected a long time in the past?

no, they actively use it. my mom is old and she does her best. her biggest problem is trichlor, like we all know, because everything's great until it blows up.

i'm glad you guys were able to confirm it looks organic, that's what i figured.

i will initiate the SLAM and report back.

regarding the deck brush: is it safe to use on the vinyl. the walls appear to have that color too? if not, what's the safest vinyl brush i can buy?

I was thinking more of a hand held wooden brush about 3" by 8"....natural bristles about maybe 3/4 or 1 ".

You can scrub pretty hard with that and it will be safe with the vinyl liner. It won't stay on the brush well but I would try a little "comet" to see if that helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
some updates for anyone who cares.

my mom says the visible algea went away after 1 day of mustard algea shock level maintenance. but every 3 hours, the pool is still losing 12-15ppm in sunlight and roughly the same overnight. so i've continued to shock it. beginning to think i might have to pull the stairs and the face plates on skimmers (if they're removable) as i suspect there's a hidden source of algea somewhere and its film is preventing chlorine from killing it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.