where do i start???

pool is clearing but not "crystal" clear....

FC=13
CC=0
I think it should be "crystal" clear by in the morning IF it does not go the other way on me while I am gone. I am going to add 3 more quarts of bleach this morning and put in the tabs right before I leave at noon today. Hopefully this will hold till I get back just in time for our Father's day swimming party Saturday evening!!!!! :party:

Thanks for all the help!!! Could not have done it without ya! :cheers:
:wave:

I'm back and the pool stayed clear!!!!! It is not crystal clear yet but it is definitely not :mrgreen: !!!!! I can clearly see the pattern on the bottom of the pool
FC = 0.5
CC = 0
pH = 8
Don't know for sure where to start??? Do I go back to the shock level or the daily level of 3-7 or do I work on the pH????
Still confused!!!! :?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lower the PH first.

It's a very good sign that it didn't revert back to green! After you get the PH in range, raise the FC back up to shock level. Then do an overnight test to see if its holding.

Thanks for updating us with the good news. :goodjob:

FC = .5
CC = 0
TC = >.5
pH = 7.6
TA = 200
CH = 175
CYA = 30
According to what I have read I should lower my pH to 7.0-7.2 in order to lower my TA... is this correct??? It went from 8.0 to 7.6 overnight after adding one quart of muriatic acid. The pool calculator suggests adding 79 ounces to get it down to 7.2. I will be gone all day so the pH should be down once I get back home. My pH has always run high in the past. I usually go through a LOT of acid just trying to keep the pH down. Is this normal???

The water is not "crystal clear" but it looks really good. :whoot:

Once I lower the pH then I will put in more bleach... correct??? The CYA is barely 30 (on the low side). Should I add more stabilizer???

You're fill water must be high in TA?

Make sure you are wiping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth in between drops when you do the TA test.

If you follow the steps for lowering TA, which speeds up the process, you should see your PH stabilize. Or you can just continue to lower the PH as you have been doing and eventually both the PH and TA will come into range.

Go ahead and add some bleach now, don't go the whole day without any FC. Tonight when you get home, if the FC is below 10, add some more acid to drop the PH to 7.0. Wait 30 minutes and add more bleach if necessary.

Yes, since you have a sand filter, I'd go ahead and increase your CYA level to 50.

phyllis said:
FC = .5
CC = 0
TC = >.5
pH = 7.6
TA = 200
CH = 175
CYA = 30
According to what I have read I should lower my pH to 7.0-7.2 in order to lower my TA... is this correct??? It went from 8.0 to 7.6 overnight after adding one quart of muriatic acid. The pool calculator suggests adding 79 ounces to get it down to 7.2. I will be gone all day so the pH should be down once I get back home. My pH has always run high in the past. I usually go through a LOT of acid just trying to keep the pH down. Is this normal???
With a high TA is is normal. After you are done shocking, you can work on lowering your TA.

The water is not "crystal clear" but it looks really good. :whoot:

That's great!

Once I lower the pH then I will put in more bleach... correct???

Yep. Go back to shock level and do the Overnight Test

The CYA is barely 30 (on the low side). Should I add more stabilizer???
I suggest you wait til you are done shocking and then add to reach 40 or 50, if your pool is in full sun.

:whoot: :whoot: :whoot: :whoot:

My pool is CRYSTAL clear!!!! When I got home (late last night) I checked the FC and it was at 1 and this morning it is at .5!!!! (Performed the Overnight FC Loss Test)

My ph is at 7.6. I tested my fill water and the pH is at 7.5 (no wonder I am not making any headway trying to lower it)

I am guessing ... according to what I am reading ... that I should continue trying to lower my pH in order to bring down my TA. I am going to go add some acid now and a little bleach but will having kids swimming this afternoon so I don't want to put too much into the pool this morning because of them or should I wait till evening to try to do anything??? That is another thing I am :? about... morning or evenings... which is better to add chemicals??? I thought it was always best to add them in the evening but what about in the mornings when you test and things are not really where they should be......... do I try to fix them then or wait till evening????????

phyllis said:
That is another thing I am :? about... morning or evenings... which is better to add chemicals??? I thought it was always best to add them in the evening but what about in the mornings when you test and things are not really where they should be......... do I try to fix them then or wait till evening????????
If you add chlorine in the morning you will lose some to sunlight. When you're shocking it's probably worthwhile to try to maintain it during the day anyway; but in "maintenance mode" the recommended pattern is to test and add chlorine in the evening so it has the maximum chance of doing some good before it gets burned off by the sun.

I don't think morning or evening matters for anything else.
--paulr

Thanks to this forum my pool is now crystal clear!!!! :whoot: :whoot: :whoot:
But.. I don't think my water is balanced. :?
FC = 1
CC = .5
TC = 1
pH = 8
TA = 150
CH = 200
CYA = 25-30
I will be adding bleach tonight to shock it (about 5 jugs) but I cannot get the pH down due to the fact that my fill water's pH runs about 7.6 and I have been adding water each week due to evaporation and a small leak around the sand filter.

Do I leave well enough alone since the pool is clear or do I keep trying to adjust????
I know that my pH might be high due to the TA being high. I am still confused on which numbers to adjust first and which numbers are not that important.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.