where do i start???

Just checked again:
FC=20
CC=.5
I think I have the stuff out of the bottom. Used the leaf rake and did not get anymore stuff. I have hooked up my automatic pool cleaner because I have to leave now. I don't think it is as green as it was but still green not yet greyish. How long should I keep it at 20??????????

You keep shocking (maintaining FC 20) until:
- you lose at most 1ppm FC overnight,
- CC is 0.5 or less, and
- the water is clear
The pool didn't get into this state in a day or even a week, it will take time to get it clear again. The result will be worth it.
--paulr

Just checked again:
FC=18
CC=.5
Do you have to put the drops in ONE at a time or can you do 4-5 until you get close???
Adding more chlorine this morning to bump it up to 20 again. Will be gone most of the day and it is raining here. Any advice??

Can anybody respond to previous post about cleaning the filter????

Put in drops one at a time, swirling 1-2 seconds in between each drop.

About the filter question, that would be this bit?
phyllis said:
Forgot to ask.... we changed our sand to zeobrite and I think this is the 3rd or 4th year. Should I change it again??? just doesn't seem to be filtering like it should. which is best: sand or zeobrite?????

I found some zeobrite cleaner... maybe i need to get some of that???
Sorry I don't know anything about zeobrite. There have been some posts on the forum and compared to sand my impression was inconclusive.
--paulr

There isn't normally any reason to use filter cleaner. They are mostly designed for filters which are accumulating large amounts of oils, perhaps from suntan lotion or makeup. Chlorine will break down the oils eventually, but if you have really large amounts it is occasionally worth using a filter cleaner. This situation is extremely rare.

Zeobrite filters better than sand, but it tends to get complaints. Zeobrite will sometimes release white clouds into the pool, which can be rather difficult to clear up. If you are not having that problem, then it is quite good.

FC=5.5
CC=.5
CYA=50

Once the pool turns milky how long do I keep the shock level up to 16??? Kept it at 20 for about 3 days until yesterday. I was gone all day and we had a terrible storm. Got home last night and the FC and the CC was zero. Dumped 4 (96 oz) containers in last night.... no electricity to be able to use calculator or ask questions!

Now what????

What really helped me was to print out all the Pool School articles. Whenever I need to refer to them, I just pull out the folder I made containing all the articles. I had to read the articles a few times over before the content really sunk in. But I found it really handy having them at my fingertips instead of reading on the computer monitor.

Good luck with your pool. Sounds like you're getting excellent advice. Just keep at it, and your pool will be clear before you know it.

FC = 14
CC = .5
pH = 8
T/A = 200 ???
CH = 120
CYA = 40

It's Monday morning and I have been trying to keep the shock level at 16 since the last posting. The green has been gone fsince last Thurs or Fri and the pool is beginning to clear. I can actually begin to makeout the print on the bottom of the pool.
:whoot: :whoot: :whoot:

I put in enough chlorine last night to move it back to 16 and it only went down to 14 this morning so I guess that is making progress :whoot:

Since my CYA has lowered to 40 (and actually it is just a dab lower than 40) my shock level is now 15 for the day so I will put in the required amt to get it to 15... correct???

The TA is the hardest for me to test. Is it suppose to be changing from blue/green to blue or wait till it changes to pink/red???? This time I just kept going and it changed to the pink/red.... have not taken it that far in the past. I am definitely confused with that test.... how important is it?????? :?

I am suppose to be having a swimming party with kids tomorrow.... how do I plan?? when will it be safe for them to swim??????

I have been going to walmart everyday and buying 10-12 jugs at a time.... the 182's when they had them and the 96's if they didn't. Last night i bought 30 jugs hoping to get me through the next 2-3 days... (tired of going to walmart)!!!!! I have probably spent about $150-200 on bleach. Does this sound normal???????? I have not posted every time I tested because I know you all get tired of reading all this.

The guys at walmart came out and asked me if i knew how bad bleach was to be putting in my pool... very dangerous..... I said.... yea, I know! just give me the bleach. He said, "we have other shock on the pool aisle that I only use once a week and my pool is crystal clear and my pool has 5,000 gal water and I have had it for 3 years." Again I said.... yea, I know! just give me the bleach. He looked at my husband and he finally told him, "She has been dealing with this for over a week... just give her the bleach!!!!!" I told the little guy that my pool was over 21,000 gal and I have had mine for 6 years this time and 15 years with the first pool that we owned!!! He finally gave me the bleach!

So sorry I have written a book this time but thought I might be getting to the end and just wanted to make sure I was still on track.

PLEASE ADVISE!!!
Gone to add another quart of bleach..... :wave:

Yes, it sounds like you are making good progress. :goodjob: Keep shocking and the water will clear. Every pool is a little different, some take more chlorine to clear, but I read back thru the posts and it sounds like you have done everything right, just had excessive chlorine demand for whatver reason.

On the TA test. Alot of different results you've posted.

You are looking for a specific color change. At normal FC levels , it will go from green to pinkish Red When it completely changes to red and stops, count that last drop and multiply the total times 10. Sometimes you get blue, changing to yellow. It's the color change, not the specific color you are looking for.

Remember, wipe the tip of the dropper bottle in between each drop with a damp cloth. See if that changes the result. It may be your TA was okay before and adding the baking soda the other day raised it too high.

Repeat the test wiping with the damp cloth and see what results you get.

You are pushing the timing of the pool party. As long as the CC's are .5 or less and the water is relatively clear, it's probably okay. Stay on top of the bleach additions today, testing hourly if you can, keeping the FC at shock level all day you should make some good progress.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sunlight and organics use up the FC. Keep shocking!

Your other #'s are okay. The pH of 8 we will ignore since the FC was >10 at the time and that is most likely a false high.

The TA may be high (after we sort out the testing), but you can deal with that after clearing the pool.

As FPM said, it appears you have made good progress.

POP :-D

Hey Phyllis. Where ya been????? I've been following this thread cause I may be in the same boat tomorrow when I finally get electical hooked up.
How are things going? :p

phyllis,

I am LMAO reading about you telling the WalMart associates to just give you the ___ _____ bleach! :lol: :mrgreen:

See! You know it works! You've been attacking the beast! Keep going, you're almost done girl!

FC=13.5
CC=.5
Added 2 qts of bleach

I probably did a no-no but I did not add any bleach yesterday morning so that the kids could swim yesterday afternoon. I tested the pool last night and the FC was down to 3 so I figured the sunlight ate up enough chlorine for them to be safe. I added 5.5 (96oz) jugs last night to bring it back to shock level... this was around 11:00 pm. It only lost 1.5 and I can definitely see the pattern of the bottom this morning. It is only a little cloudy!!! :) Will try to keep it up to 15 today and see what happens in the morning!!! The bad part: I am leaving tomorrow to be gone till Sat afternoon... what will I come home to :?: :?: :?:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.