Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: where do i start???

1. Back To Top    #1

where do i start???

This is a great website but I am so overwhelmed that I don't know where to start!!

But my pool is so green.... just pulled the cover off.... what do I do first??? I have received the test kit that was recommended but do not know where to start with it!!! It has rained almost everyday and I have not been able to even work on the pool.

Are there some step by step instructions somewhere for the kit???? I guess that is why I always used the test strips!!!!

Where do i go first?????

Please advise!!!!
    20ft round; sand; AG; vinyl

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: where do i start???

Welcome.

Post a full set of numbers and tell us about your pool. What chemicals were you using before?

Next...go to pool school and read about how to manage algae.

Your kit comes with instructions on how to test. They are on the lid when you open it.
    25,000 gal IG Utopia pool/Raypack gas heater/BBB

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Phyllis,

Make sure you have your pump running for at least a few hours before you collect your water sample for testing.

Then, as ideliver mentioned, post your test results & other info in this thread.

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

this has a lot of good info. read it a few times to let it all sink in as much as possible.
    pool-school/
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

The kit should come with instructions. One test at a time.... Assuming it's a TF100 or K-2006, you can also refer to my one-page instruction summary (see link in my sig).
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

6. Back To Top    #6

I finally got the test results completed... don't know how accurate they are but here goes:
    FC = 0
    CC = .5
    TC = >.5
    pH = 8.0
    T/A = 80
    CH = 160
    CYA = cannot get reading
    Temp = no temp gauge yet... will get one!

Thanks for the pdf on using the tester!

Last year I was using the jumbo tablets for chlorine and using some kind of BLAST for the shock. My pool guy was against using chlorine!!! go figure!!!

Now what???

7. Back To Top    #7

When you say you can't get a CYA reading, is that because the black dot is instantly obscured (too high to get a reading) or because you fill the tube to the top and can still see the dot (too low to get a reading)? If your CYA is too high, you can dilute the sample half-and-half with tap water, and try again; double the reading, of course.
    --paulr
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster

8. Back To Top    #8

too low
    black dot is still visible

9. Back To Top    #9

Okay, you need to raise CYA and chlorine, and reduce pH. You want to leave an interval of an hour or so between adding chlorine and acid; the CYA can go in anytime. If you read through Pool School it talks about all this stuff.
    --paulr

10. Back To Top    #10

Hi Phylis...you should vistit pool school and read the sticky on transforming your green water into an oasis...first go to the pool calculator and determine how much CYA you need to add to get to 30ppm and reduce PH to around 7.5...you can assume zero on your CYA given you were not able to get it to register...next step is to load up on bleach or liquid chlorine and keep shocking the pool and maintain it at shock level until your FC holds over night...the water should clear by then and you can only then reduce your FC level to non-shock levels
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

11. Back To Top    #11

Just to be clear, adjust your pH before you shock.
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

12. Back To Top    #12

As someone who has just recently went through this, some thoughts from me are:
    1. Go and buy a LOT of bleach from Sam's or Costco.....you're going to need the large 1.42gallon size to shock the pool repeatedly until you can get FC to hold overnight.
    2. Run your pump 24/7.......you might well be running it for a week or more 24/7.
    3. Ignore the urge to go to the pool store and spend $$$$$ on the magic chemical that will fix your pool. BBB is all you need....seriously.
    4. POP (Pool Owner Patience).....read, read again, and then read pool school. Your pool didn't get this way overnight and its not going to be fixed overnight.

Using BBB has worked for hundreds on here. Just stick at it and your pool will sparkle.

Irishal
    Alan
    30ft AGP
    2hp pump
    TFTestkits ,Pool Calculator, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    Just to be clear, adjust your pH before you shock.
    Ah right, I forgot the pool was green. yes, pH first, because the pH test will be unreliable with FC > 10.
    --paulr

14. Back To Top    #14

OK.. pH is now down to 7.2
    Is the CYA the stabilizer???? Yes. it is. Just found the answer.

Do I need to get it up before I start adding the chlorine to kill the algae????

I have some old jumbo tri-chlor tablets left over from last year. Should I use those to get the pool stabilized or go buy some stabilizer???

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by phyllis
    Do I need to get [CYA] up before I start adding the chlorine to kill the algae????
    No, but you will lose chlorine because of sunlight until the CYA is in there.
    I have some old jumbo tri-chlor tablets left over from last year. Should I use those to get the pool stabilized or go buy some stabilizer???
    The trichlor dissolves very slowly and each tab adds not very much CYA (it's the long-term cumulative effect that gets you in trouble). I recommend using real stabilizer now, which will take a few days to register, and hang onto the tabs for when you go on vacation--a couple tabs in a floater will probably maintain your FC level for a week.
    --paulr

16. Back To Top    #16

how much chlorine do you suggest to start with....... trying to kill green algae

17. Back To Top    #17

how much chlorine do you suggest to start with....... trying to kill green algae
    Shock level of 10 should be okay for now.

After 24 hours or so after the CYA dissolves, increase the shock level based on what you added (see CYA/Chlorine Chart in my sig).

18. Back To Top    #18

FC = 13
    CC = 1.5

now what????

19. Back To Top    #19

In the evening (sun is off the pool) check FC again, make sure it is at least 10. (If you add chlorine, wait an hour and test again so you know exactly where you are.)
    In the morning, before the sun hits the pool, test again. If FC has dropped by more than 1, or CC > 0.5, then you need to continue shocking it. You'll lose a fair amount during the day due to sunlight unless you have a cover.
    Repeat until overnight loss is less than 1, CC not more than 0.5, and the water looks clear.
    --paulr
    who is in the middle of this same process, harumph

20. Back To Top    #20

FC = 13
    CC = 1.5

now what????
    Hi and welcome.

If your shock level is 10, when you use the Pool Calculator, your "target" or "goal" is 10. Make sure you have the appropriate size for the jugs chosen, and the appropriate bleach strength.....then when you move your cursor over the amount recommended, it tells you how many jugs to add. I sounds to me like you overshot your target....based on your FC reading of 13 instead of 10.

Now, in your particular situation I am certain it won't sit there for long, but in general you want to be more careful when you make your calculations so you don't overdose your pool chems....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast