Two speed or Variable speed pump? Which is better?

May 3, 2009
My old pump has started to die and I am just hoping to make it through closing for the season.
Right now the dying pump is two speed and is only working on low anymore. It just makes a very short lived try and then clicks off when I try the high speed.

Next year when I open I want to redo most of the pool equipment anyway.
My pool is pretty simple, but I would like to add solar heating next year also so I'll likely have to find a solution for that. I just mention it because I don't know if one type of pump is better suited for that.

I have a 25k gallon, single skimmer, main drain, two returns, and an aquarite SWCG.

So when I buy a new one for next year should I get another 2 speed or a variable speed? Looking for best bang for the buck.

Thanks,
Dan

The benefit of a VS pump will come from being able to dial in a low speed for your SWG and a higher speed for your solar. With solar you need to have a solar controller for best efficiency. The pump will need to be running on low for the solar controller to sample the water temp. When solar heat is available the controller can ramp up the pump speed and open the solar valve. You will want your solar controller brand to match your pump brand. I use the Pentair Solartouch and a Pentair Intellifo pump, 011018, now 011055. It is a 3 hp pump. You might be fine with a 1-1/2 hp Superflo VS pump, 342001 pump.

We have seen people have issues with running their 2 speed pump on low and their SWG giving a low flow error.

Add more pool info to your sig so we can better help you, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

No question, VS. Two speed cost less upfront, and is a more economical choice if you don't have the need for several speeds, but with solar and SWG you are much better off with a VS pump. I run several different speeds, heating with solar, cleaning the pool, chlorination (SWG), and a very slow one just for extra filtration. With a VS pump you can tailor the ideal speed for each task. At the highest speed I ever use, the pump is drawing half the power of my old energy hog single speed. They cost more upfront, but are worth it.

Don't forget to allow for adding surge protection when budgeting for a VS pump. They are very sensitive to power spikes.

Thanks for the replies.
My current dead pump is 3/4 on low and 1 1/2 HP on high and was a pentair so a new one is a drop in replacement which is good for getting it closed this year.
Low was enough flow to keep the SWG going. So I think from what I have read that the pentair 1-1/2 hp Superflo VS pump, 342001 pump is about ideal. Never had an issue keeping the water clean running on low. At least after we started using a solar cover which keeps the majority of the organic material out of the water. Just a few leaves get in.
I'll have to add a surge protector to the panel. Been meaning to anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.