CYA at 0 - should I use this

May 26, 2009
Oshawa, Ont
Hello all.
I just purchased the Taylor chem set and it tells me that my CYA is 0. I confirmed that I did the test properly by doing the same with a known soln of 55 (I purchased the soln), and came out with the set reading of 55.
The pool calc tells me to add 288 grams of stabilizer. I bought this http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...ries/PRD~0813788P/Crystal+Plus+Stabilizer.jsp

Before I add it, I want to confirm that it is the correct product - is it?

It doesn't appear to be.

The label states that it is copper sulfate, which is often sold as algaecide, but I'm not aware of it being uses as 'stabilizer'. Use of copper is not generally recommended around here, even as an algaecide, as it can cause other problems such as staining.

You need a stabilizer or conditioner composed of cyanuric acid, commonly called CYA.

I buy most of my pool chemicals at Canadian Tire. One of the things I like is that my local store puts a bunch of bleach out in the pool section as well, and at a reasonable price.

That isn't what you want. You want something called "Stabilizer" though, but not that one. It's usually in their pool section, and looks very similar to the pH UP and pH down containers (I know this because I accidentally bought a few pH UP ones last time I refilled my pool and needed CYA.

You'll know you have the right thing if you read the back and it has big warnings about only adding it to the pool once on filling etc.

ronatola said:
Hello all.
I just purchased the Taylor chem set and it tells me that my CYA is 0. I confirmed that I did the test properly by doing the same with a known soln of 55 (I purchased the soln), and came out with the set reading of 55.
[EDIT] Oh wait...never mind. I just saw a new thread here that answers my question. [END-EDIT]

Where can you get a standardized solution of CYA? Do you have a link to that? This would be a nice way of people getting comfortable with their CYA test readings, knowing if they've got the right lighting conditions, knowing if the dot has fully disappeared, etc. We get this question a lot and though we refer them to the Taylor link here, it would be nice to have a standardized solution as another way to "learn" how to do the test. It's not critically important, but would be nice to have.

Richard

chem geek said:
here[/url], it would be nice to have a standardized solution as another way to "learn" how to do the test. It's not critically important, but would be nice to have.

Richard

You can find the premaid soln here
CYA-STD Cyanuric Acid Standardized Solution (50 ppm) 60 mL 4,99 $
http://piscines-apollo.com/english_taylor.htm

chem geek said:
Where can you get a standardized solution of CYA? Do you have a link to that? This would be a nice way of people getting comfortable with their CYA test readings, knowing if they've got the right lighting conditions, knowing if the dot has fully disappeared, etc. We get this question a lot and though we refer them to the Taylor link here, it would be nice to have a standardized solution as another way to "learn" how to do the test. It's not critically important, but would be nice to have.

I repackage the bigger 473 mL sizes of CH, pH, TA and CYA standards in 60 mL bottles exactly for those reasons. The feedback I'm getting from the CYA standard is that the customers adjust their technique (lighting, holding the vial etc) to read the 50 ppm.

A quick way to learn.

Paul

ronatola said:
It's copper sulfate. The (French language) MSDS is on my site. I had a short email exchange with the "inventor" about the product's claims to "stabilize pH". Copper sulfate by itself doesn't stabilize pH.

Want to know the secret ingredient ?

. . . take a tablespoon or so of the product and mix it with vinegar !

Rob said:
I buy most of my pool chemicals at Canadian Tire.
Out of curiosity and to help a fellow member I just bought a jug of Purox brand chlorinating liquid from Canadian Tire to test it. (It's a 5 liter jug but you only need 0.5 mL for the test.)

On the label it's advertised as 10.8% NaOCl/weight, 10.3% Cl/weight but it tests out as

<drumroll>
. . .

5.4% NaOCl/w and 5.6% Cl/weight !!

:shock: :shock:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.