two speed pump motor fine on low only clicks on high

Aug 27, 2016
Chester
Hello, I have a 30' x 18' above ground pool with an Aquatools cartridge filter based system. The 1.5 hp AO Smith pump motor has a two speed switch on the motor. Background....system is about 5 years old, typically run 4-5 months per year; pump is drained and stored in a dry garage when not in use.

Lately I noticed the flow output in low speed mode was reduced somewhat (I usually use the low speed) but the pump is still very quiet and not hot. I started using high speed more often and that was fine with great output, then suddenly started to only make a repeating clicking noise, only when switched to high speed; low speed still consistently running quiet, cool, but with the reduced output.

So any idea about the clicking noise from the motor, only in the high speed switch position?

Welcome to the forum!

It could be the centrifugal switch in the back of the motor. Sometimes the springs break, come off or the governor gets stuck.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Do you know of any links to diagrams or instructions to locate, identify and repair the centrifugal switch.
I did take the outside back panel off (one screw) the motor (AO Smith, correction, 1HP). where wiring connections can be seen; the large capacitor is also in this area; didn't see much else. I carefully powered up and tried low speed, which works normally. When I switched to hi speed the clicking was accompanied by some observable sparking inside the next layer. Looks like I might get in there by removing four small hex-head screws.
Appreciate any guidance.....Rich

Take a picture of the back end of the motor without the end cap and maybe I can see something. But if you are getting sparks inside the motor where the windings are, then it is probably a problem with the windings and you will need to replace the motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.