Creative Solutions for old returns?

May 27, 2009
Louisville, KY
Hey guys and gals..

Still working on clearing out the pool... One of the last issues I need to address is poor water circulation. On the deep end, the pool goes down 9-10 feet, but the current returns are only circulating the top 2-3 feet worth of water.

I've got an old, poured concrete pool (not sure the exact age, just bought the house a year ago and haven't found anything specific to the pool that the previous owners left). The returns appear to 3/4" PVC pipe through the concrete. There's some sort of adapter in the ends that are about 1-1.5" long that end in threads almost 1.5" across. I've got a couple of hex-shaped caps that screw on, but two are missing and the other two provide no way to direct the water flow.

I've exhausted all the pvp options at the local hardware stores. Anything 1" is too small to attach on the adapters, anything 1.5" is too big and falls right off.

Heck, I've even tried that "search" function and I'm not having luck finding someone with a similar problem or a magical solution. Anybody out there have any ideas?

That's the best I can do from the office with a cell phone camera :) I'll get some better ones once I get home, and attempt to get a picture of one of the ones in the pool where you can see the threads.

I haven't been able to break the two attached pieces loose yet, which would make my life easier, as far as having the threads in-hand to try to attach things to. It's throughly painted together and hacking at it with a utility blade hasn't loosened up enough paint yet...

(oh, and I lied. They're octagons, not hexagons!)

[attachment=2:2gqit3xa]1.jpg[/attachment:2gqit3xa]
[attachment=1:2gqit3xa]2.jpg[/attachment:2gqit3xa]
[attachment=0:2gqit3xa]3.jpg[/attachment:2gqit3xa]

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 321
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 321
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 320
reebok said:
are you saying you need new hardware/eyeballs for the return jets?

Basically...

I'm looking for any solution to be able to direct the water flow to improve the pool circulation. The local pool stores and hardware stores have done their best to help, but no one's been able to find anything that'll attach to the plumbing that I've got.

About the only idea I have left is to grind out the end of the returns when I drain the pool next year so I can cram something new in there.

ok. I just went through an ordeal with my returns trying to make an aerator. what I found that worked for me was to shove 1" pvc deep as possible into the hole. it would stay pretty well. so if you found pvc pipe that you could fit into the hole, cut it so just a little bit is sticking out, then put like a 45 degree or 90 degree elbow on the end of the pvc, it would direct the water somewhat.
that said, I had the same issue as far as screwing something onto the threads of the pipe sticking out of the wall. 1.5" was just a mite too big. but of course my current faceplate/eyeball work fine on there. mine is made by pentair, but I don't know exactly what model number it is. if you want to try to research it, you can try looking through one of these sites. unfortunately, it's hard to find diagrams. you may be able to call pentair and say I need the faceplate and eyeball that fits a return jet that's just under 1.5".
http://www.pentairpool.com/products/parts1.php?s=94
http://www.poolpartsonline.com/s-15-fit ... parts.aspx
http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Equipment ... Line-Part/

My pool is also an old fashioned pool and the returns are just simple pipe ends with no threads. I've learned that general pool health depends a lot on good circulation. I installed eyeballs by connecting available threaded parts and eyeballs to a PVC tubing which I pressure - fitted into the return pipe ends. I had to grind down the PVC tubing that goes in, but this wasn't too difficult. You can achieve realively tight fitting using teflon tape. Now I can direct the eyeballs to optimal position and I noticed an increase in water quality and general pool health. The only negative part is that the gadgets extend out about 6" and bathers have to watch them and not to bump into them.

Thanks for the advice Reebok and Water_man... I had tried a couple of options but hadn't considered cramming PVC in my returns. It turns out 3/4" pipe with a 45 degree elbow on the end fits in there like a glove. No glue required so far. A dose of clarifier and 48 hours later, the pool's crystal clear for the first time this year.

Thanks... You guys rock!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.