Why not routinely do 24 hour MA SLAM at end of green algae SLAM?

Ronald U.

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Greetings. Since it seems difficult to distinguish MA from regular green algae, why not recommend routinely doing a 24 hour MA shock at end of any greenish algae SLAM? / BTW, I always wondered how a case of authentic MA passes the OCLT and low CC criteria of the initial SLAM, before one does the 24 hour elevated-FC MA SLAM? I assumed the presence of MA would keep those 2 criteria from passing. Thanks all.

Over time, I think TFP may have elevated Mustard Algae to the level of "terrifying". The MA treatment that was developed was done mostly because people had difficulty eradicating it so this method was employed to help folks deal with it. It certainly works but I think we may readdress it at some point for these reasons....

1. It is wa-a-ay over diagnosed....probably 70-80 percent of the people who report Mustard Algae don't have it.

2. While it is certainly persistent, terms like "dreaded" are over reactive.....it's still algae and chlorine still kills it

3. The MA "after Shock" is akin to wearing a belt with suspenders. It does no harm and is intended as extra insurance but is it needed?? Maybe not.

4. I experienced MA more often than I will ever admit and my personal preference for clearing MA is to complete the SLAM and then hold FC levels at double suggested values for about a week - brushing daily. being Thorough is the key.

All in all, we constantly review our suggestions and count on everyone's anecdotal input to make this forum the best site in the world for every day pool care

If I could but in. Under the heading "Problem Solving" and the subject "Mustard Algea" in Pool School, it is stated that after the SLAM is completed it is proper to follow the procedure for dealing with Mustard Algea (basically an increase in chlorine for a specific time period based on your current CYA)
I think maybe Ronald U. is asking how you complete a SLAM (clear water, CC < .5, and pass an OCLT.) if you have a case of MA? With a case of MA, is it even possible to pass/complete a SLAM by meeting the three criteria? Or do the instructions in Pool School mean that if you've been SLAMming for some time, and it appears you have visual evidence for MA, that it would be appropriate to raise you FC levels to above normal SLAM levels for your CYA and fight the MA? If that is the case, then you really never "completed" the SLAM and then fight the MA, you simply continue the SLAM at elevated levels of FC to complete it.
Aahhh, deep thinkers we are!!!! LOL

As Dave mentioned, the 24 hours at MA level is insurance that all the MA is killed.

Extreme FC levels are harsh on your pool, and are to be avoided as much as possible, hence the 24 hours only when dealing with MA.

Oh. So you do actually pass all three criteria for a completed SLAM. But for added assurance, just in case you were dealing with MA, or if you had visual evidence it could have been MA, it is wise to increase FC per Pool School direction as an added precautionary step so it does not return after the SLAM is finished. Now that makes sense...a little extra FC couldn't hurt for a short time....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.