Cloudy pool after using Solar Cover (Salt/SWG content)?

Jun 13, 2015
Southborough, MA
For the most part, all summer, my pool has been crystal clear (salt system) with well balanced water chemistry except on two occasions. After heavy weekend use, we used our solar cover as we weren't expecting to use it for a couple of days. I typically run the pump/SWG 10 hours per day.

After I a couple of days, I removed the cover and the pool was very cloudy. On the days covered, temp was in the 90s (I'm in the NE). The pool is in direct sunlight all day.

First time, I brought a water sample to a local Leslie's and they sold my Phosophate reducer (I know, big mistake,, I've since bought a Taylor kit) and I ran my pump for 48 hours straight. That actually worked.

This past weekend, the same thing. I tested my levels with my Taylor kit and everything seems fine (Alk is a little high). Salt level is 3000-3100.

I also put my SWG in "Superchlorinate" as per the manual. I didn't run it for the full 24 hours. I ran it for 12 as we plan to use it today. It seemed to help a little bit. I plan to keep the pump running for a few days and I did bump up the chlorination % on the SWG as well from 50%.

My question is why would I get this condition after using the solar cover? Could it be that it's not chlorinating fast enough to conteract the effects of the cover and heat?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

My FC climbs when the solar cover is on. It blocks UV rays and FC consumption drops. I had the cover on for the last week+ and my FC went from 8 to 20. It also got a bunch of pollen on it and dumped it in the pool everytime we took the cover off.

Cloudy water is most often due to not enough chlorine and is bacteria or algae growing in the pool. We recommend an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if something is growing in the pool. FC should be kept above minimum for your CYA at all times, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

My FC climbs when the solar cover is on. It blocks UV rays and FC consumption drops. I had the cover on for the last week+ and my FC went from 8 to 20. It also got a bunch of pollen on it and dumped it in the pool everytime we took the cover off.

Cloudy water is most often due to not enough chlorine and is bacteria or algae growing in the pool. We recommend an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if something is growing in the pool. FC should be kept above minimum for your CYA at all times, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Actually, according to that chart, my CYA might be low at ~30. My FC is approx 3 ppm.

If you can post a complete set of test results with one of the recommended test kits that will also let us take a complete look at other possibilities.
SWCG's cause pH to rise and depending on your CH level, that can cause calcium to precipitate clouding your water as an example.
But algae is always the first and most likely culprit as DV is addressing.

The UV rays from the sun help break down and eliminate the CC in your water. This may be part of your problem. When its cloudy, does it smell like chlorine too? If so, that's CC. You should probably do a quick SLAM just to kill off any possible algae that you're barely holding at bay now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.