Newbie - Green Algae pool - Finding CYA

SRM

Aug 26, 2016
Thornton, PA
I am trying to clear the algae in my pool. Feel like I am stuck going in a circle. I have been reading your pool school. Don't have the recommended tester...yet, will be getting one! Just had my water tested at pool store, I can't tell which reading is CYA? Readings I have are:

FC 6.06 ppm
TC 6.26 ppm
CC 0.2 ppm
PH 7.7
Hardness 436 ppm
Alkalinity 96 ppm
Copper 0.2 ppm
Iron 0.1 ppm
Phosphate 809 ppb

Trying to figure out CYA so I know what I need to bring to shock level consistently to get rid of algae, I believe this is the right step forward from what I read. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

There is no CYA listed on your results BUT even if it were it would not mean much as pool store tests cannot be trusted. We see if over and over I am sad to say.

Lets wait until your good test gets there. Which one are you getting?

I see in your signature that you have the frog pack. Do you see the metals in your water? They are from the frog pack and are NOT good for your pool.

Please do so reading here:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

and here:

Alternative sanitizers and pools--The Truth!!

The top one is the why and how of TFP. The second one will talk to you about your frog pack and others like it.

:kim:

There is no CYA listed on your results BUT even if it were it would not mean much as pool store tests cannot be trusted. We see if over and over I am sad to say.

Lets wait until your good test gets there. Which one are you getting?

I see in your signature that you have the frog pack. Do you see the metals in your water? They are from the frog pack and are NOT good for your pool.

Please do so reading here:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

and here:

Alternative sanitizers and pools--The Truth!!

The top one is the why and how of TFP. The second one will talk to you about your frog pack and others like it.

Thank you for your help. Today I ordered the TF-100 test kit. Any suggestions to do while I wait for the test kit? Pool is completely green at this point. I have had this pool for several years and I have never had algae like this that I cannot get to clear. This past Tuesday I added 4-128 oz 12.5% chlorine and yesterday from the pool store Swamp Treat Algicide (% Sodium Bromide) - what a waste no change, actually looks worse! Quickly learning pool store is not the way to go! Appreciate your help.

Any suggestions to do while I wait for the test kit? Pool is completely green at this point.
For that size pool, you can pour a small jug of Clorox (I think it's about 90 oz.) into the pool each evening after the sun is off the pool. Do that every evening until your test kits gets to you (Maybe Wednesday).

Then post the results right away and we'll all help you beat the Algae.

PS - be ready to buy more bleach than you ever have....it will embarrass you at check-out. :D

I would find a pool store that can give you CYA that is one of the most important things to understand to control algae. Most people that have used pucks for many years have CYA in the range of 100-300. I know mine was at least 300 before I found this place and I drained pool to get back to 50. This link is really great you can see how drastically CYA affects the amount of HOCL(which actually kills the algae)http://troublefreepool.com/~richardfalk/pool/HOCl.htm
For instance at a CYA of 50 and FC of 10 has the same HOCL(amount of chorine that will kill algae) as CYA of 100 and a FC of 20. If your CYA is 100,200,300 you can see your FC would need to be ridiculous amounts. This is why its recommended to reduce your CYA before you SLAM. I would say most people here are here now because of this simple fact. Pucks increase CYA, CYA never really goes away unless your drain and refill. Eventually you are over 100 or 200 CYA and your pool store recommended FC level will never kill your algae and you get a algae bloom. Then its back to store for shock(which adds even more CYA) and algaecide. Its a very bad loop we have all been until we got here an reduced CYA and followed the method.

Bottom line you need to know CYA and keep it 40-50. Then life is good so find a store that will give you CYA and post it so we know how much chlorine to SLAM with and advise you how to get to a reasonable number of CYA.

I hate to say this BUT the CYA test is the test the pool stores get wrong the most :( Do not bother using your time having that test done.

For right now just add a jug each day like Dave said. When your test kit gets there test and we will go from there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK...I got the test kit today. I followed directions in the kit and the pool school and I believe my CYA is 140. I also did the chlorine drop test, it only turned pink after sitting for some time. Suggestions on what to do now?

Reading in the pool school, should I drain some of the water and refill?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.