Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Running out of FAS-DPD reagent

1. Back To Top    #1

Running out of FAS-DPD reagent

Speaking of the test kit. Does anyone know how long the R-0871 should last during all this conversion and testing every few hours? My bottle seems like its getting low and I've only had it a week. I went ahead and ordered a refill, just incase. Is that normal, I mean since we have been testing a few times a day especially during the beginning of the process?

Am I correct in thinking that once the conversion is complete and I'm in maintenance mode, we'll just be using the little blue Taylor kit for daily testing and then just use the FAS/DPD test for weekly testing or when we need adjustments?
    Jennifer
    24 ft. AG-approx 13,500 gal
    2 HP sand filter-2 speed
    4ft x 20ft Sunheater Solar Panels

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Running out of FAS-DPD reagent

It is fairly common to use up a bottle of R-0871 during a baquacil conversion.

Once everything settles down to normal, you will typically only do a FAS-DPD test once a week, and commonly on lower FC levels. There are some people who like to use FAS-DPD daily, but that isn't required.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the info Jason. I thought that might be the case, as much as we've been testing this past week. lol
    Jennifer
    2 HP sand filter-2 speed

4. Back To Top    #4

Took me two years to go through a bottle of DPD titrant on a pool open year 'round! I do confess that I don't always test it weekly but I DO know my pool and it's been trouble free and stays pretty stable unless we get a lot of rain! Still on the same container of DPD powder btw! It's getting near the bottom but still not completely gone! I do use the OTO/pH tester before I enter the pool or spa each time, however, just to make sure things are within bounds.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the info. Good to know.
    Jennifer
    2 HP sand filter-2 speed

6. Back To Top    #6

I did a conversion from Baq last year and now have to get some new reagents. Chlorine and CYA test reagents go really fast!

Am I correct in thinking that once the conversion is complete and I'm in maintenance mode, we'll just be using the little blue Taylor kit for daily testing and then just use the FAS/DPD test for weekly testing or when we need adjustments?
    This is exactly what I started doing after conversion. I do a daily pH & chlorine test -- if anything looked odd, I'd do a full test. I had to add CYA a week or so ago (after refilling pool due to partial Fall draining), then we've had rain, so I'll test that over the weekend when everything's clear again.

Good luck!

Sue