Tree near this pool

moreira85

Nov 8, 2015
Boston, MA
I won't mince words on my opinion. I am a self-professed tree person. Please do not plant this tree. It's a classic junk tree. The root system is massive which is needed to supply all that water to what can be a monster of a tree (over 100' tall depending on the variety of hybrid poplar). Those massive roots could easily destroy your deck and pool walls in time. Your deck will drain water to it and attract the roots that way. Additionally, trees that grow so fast have soft wood which leads to branches snapping easily.
Your best bet is to encourage him (financially or otherwise) to plant the Green Giants on his side now which leaves you with the privacy and none of those concerns.
The bigger thought about trees in your yard is shade. In MA you want no shade on you pool of it can be avoided. Trees in the wrong direction that get some height, especially those planted to the west, can kill the solar heating benefit you may have.
If you really want a tree, we (or at least I) have about ten questions to ask about specifics of the site, your priorities, your time horizon, your microclimate, etc. Trees should be planted with forever in mind.
I'm done now! Off soapbox.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.