White ring on water tile

Lord of the ring, eh! OP, I feel your frustrations but you’re not alone.
I recently moved into a house with a 15 yr old pool and this is how it looks like before the plaster patch repair work and acid wash.

At first, I declined the sand blasting and while it is draining, I spent hours trying to scrub off the scale using the “Scale Be Gone” that the previous owner left behind. It barely removes the scale and not worth the effort. So in the end I agreed to sand blasting and this is the results.

Sadly, the process did not completely remove the white marks along the water line in the spa. But you will not see it when the water level rises to spillover. I have been brushing regularly and just like you, I have yet to find the solution to get rid of the white marks along the waterline.

Btw, I am now maintaining the pool on my own the TFP way.

Looks alot better. I am going to find a solution, it came from the water there must be a way to disolve it back. Heck i have only had water in the darn pool for 35 days. I am willing to try the scaletec if there is a real possiblity it will help. I am going to keep this thread alive as i have read so many similar ones that never say whether or not the issue was resolved.

I think the big issue is the people getting these rings dont accuratly discribe the make ip of the ring or test to see it acid will react with it and disolve it. I have read several people adjusted ph and csi and the ring disolved. I am no chemistry expert but i am just perplexed i have this 10-30 day after the fill with numbers that were not really out of the range.
I spoke with a company that does the salt blasting, they said they put a sealer on the tile after blasting to even out the color. Well a topical sealer on tile sounds like a recipe for a problems down the road. I will find an awswer on my own or with the help of you folks. I refuse to believe i have to live with this or replace all my tile, well thats not going to happen.

The line looks too well defined to be from a chemistry issue. I would suspect that something got on the water and stained the tile right at the waterline. What's the white on the coping stones? Was sealer applied to the stones?

Any chance that paint, sealer or some other chemical got on the water?

Try some MEK or paint thinner on a small test spot.

Note: I don't think that MEK or paint thinner will damage the tile, but it might so try on a spare tile first.

Definitely odd. The line is so well defined that it looks like someone snapped a chalk line. Chemistry issues are usually more diffuse because they take longer to develop and the water level fluctuates over time.

In my opinion, the most likely cause is something getting on the water surface and adhering to the tile. I suspect that whatever caused the line did so in a relatively short time.

In any case, really just speculating as it's not at all obvious what it is. Trying different solvents is one way to see what will remove the line.

Of course it's important to be careful with any test solvent as it might have an adverse effect on the tile or the pool in general if it were to get in the water.

Did the line seem to develop over time or did it seem like it was suddenly there?

I noticed the line in the spa 10 days after new plaster and the pool was filled. I only noticed it because in spa mode the water level drops about 3/4". I thought it was just something that would rub off. I did get a breush and went over the tile. Thought it was gone because when the tile wet you cant see the line. Did not notice the pool tile untili lowered the eater level about 1/2-3/4". I cant imagine what could have got in the water since notbody comes into the backyard but me and my wife. Acetone and acid should have taken care of this. Now you see why i have my doubts that CSI between 0 and -0.3 will disolve it, but that test is happening in the spa. Any other solvents i should try? I have most of them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep, not blaming anyone, its my fault, was just more focused on all the other thing tests, etc, etc. Perhaps i will just raise the water level again rather than trying to mess with removing the ring. Will pick up a calcium eraser tomorrow and test it out. If that does not work i am raising the water level and will let the correct chemisty remove the ring.

Just my 2 cents here....I would get my face down there on a tile and see could it be 'etched' into the tile? If so raise up water level to that line, you mentioned when wet does not show.

It could be scale from plaster dust. New plaster gives off calcium hydroxide, which creates a lot of calcium carbonate. Acid should remove it if it's calcium carbonate. Since acid does not seem to have much effect, it might not be calcium carbonate.

If it's from something getting on the surface and staining the tile at the water line, trying various solvents might indicate a solution. Try paint thinner, MEK and anything else you can think of.

Just my 2 cents here....I would get my face down there on a tile and see could it be 'etched' into the tile? If so raise up water level to that line, you mentioned when wet does not show.

This is what caused the problem, the set up guy set the auto fill too high, i thought the skimmer effectiveness could be improve if the water level was lowered. Right now i only have 1" from the water level and the top if the skimmer mouth. If i raise the water to the line i will have like 1/2" clearance before the skimmer is under water.

I agree this came from the water or plaster but nothing else could have got into the water.

There is a professional tile cleaning product out there that is a mix of hydrochloric acid, phosphoric acid and a little bit of hydrofluoric acid (yikes!!). I think it's called BioDex 300. It will take off anything even remotely related to calcium scale. The only problem is you have to super careful with it and it's formulated with a thickening agent (like toilet bowl cleaner) so you can't let it dribble down your plaster. So the area has to be brushed very well to ensure that the cleaner well diluted.

You can look up the search term "bio-dex 300" to see what others have done.

Have you tried a pumice stone like the ones on a plastic handle for toilets? Those things scare the heck out of me, seems like they would severely scratch any surface you take them too but so far they have never scratched our toilets, but I don't know how a toilet glaze compares to pool tile. Just to be safe I would still try it on a sample tile before using it in the pool, might just do the trick.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.