Pump noise through plumbing affixed to house - new roof solar install

Kman

Aug 26, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
Hi,

I just got a series of Aquatherm rooftop solar panels installed last week. I have a natural swim pond, so the only piece of equipment I had initially was a Hayward Super Pump VS, tapcon'd into a concrete slab. There wasn't really any noise noticeable inside the house (it's mounted outside right next to my living room wall). Last week I got solar, so we added a sand filter, and all the plumbing required to feed the water up to the roof. The guy bolted all the plumbing directly to the house with plastic clips etc. Long story short, now even without the water diverting to the solar, I can hear the pump much louder than before. It's very annoying and almost sounds like someone is vacuuming all day outside. I was reading online and people mentioned it's likely the vibration through the plumbing, so I tried using a 2" rubber coupler, and the noise died down a bit, but there's still a long way to go...and I have zero faith in that coupler. So much that today I turned the solar on, jacked the pump up to full speed and the pressure blew the coupler. If that was to happen while i'm not home it would pump all the pool water right to the side of my house...

I'm looking for people's opinions on what I could do. I can hear the water going up and down the wall but that doesn't really bother me as much as the pump noise coming into the house all day. I have attached a few pics... any help is appreciated! Don't mind the bales of hay... low budget temporary sound deadening for the neighbor :)

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5491.jpg
    IMG_5491.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5493.jpg
    IMG_5493.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5494.jpg
    IMG_5494.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 33
From the photos the rubber coupler that you used appears to be a no-hub sanitary connector designed for waste lines in gravity flow situations rather than pressure applications. If so it is unlikely that it will perform as you desire. Perhaps an actual hose fitting with pressure rated hose will suffice.

Yeah I realize the rubber couplers are no good... but they still haven't reduced the noise completely. Does anyone know of any king of pipe hangers I could use to replace the plastic clips on the side of the house? The pool guy seemed surprised at my complaint for the noise...as if nobody else has experienced this before.
I've been looking for something along the same concept as soundclips for drywall ceilings in basements, but something to hang PVC pipe vertically... something that would give an acoustic break from the pipe to the wall.

Drilling through the siding is a recipe for water intrusion, rot and structural damage. Installing a pressure treated vertical mounting support over the area after sealing the holes is suggested. The plank can then provide a mounting point for isolation.

I agree with Vickery above.

Next I'm concerned your pump is so loud you need a hale bale. It should be rather quiet. You can't hear my pump in the neighbor's yard 20 feet away.

You need to isolate that line climbing the house. By the way the whole line looks like its made out of drain sewer line not Sch 40.

Ahhh I should have been more clear. The pump isn't really loud outside. When the pool was first started after construction, I was away from home and the builder just turned the pump on so it went to max speed automatically for 12 hours. They had done that at night and the neighbor's bedroom wall is <8 ft away so they didn't get much sleep... I always run it at low speed so noise isn't a concern now. I just had some hay bales sitting around so I decided to put them there to cut the noise down even further.

It's definitely sch 40... but yeah i'm thinking of putting some rubber isolators between the clips.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.