High CYA.

MJuric

Aug 19, 2016
Byron, Il
Just got my TF-100 kit and was going to slam my pool as a "First try" to know better how to do it next spring and to have it in good shape for fall. PH is ~7.5, maybe a tad higher. However I did the CYA test, twice, and got 90-100.

I'm assuming that slamming it at this level is not so great and probably not recommended. My dilemma is that we are largely done for the year and I'm wondering if draining it, filling it, slamming it and then draining it again is worth the trouble for the experience. OTOH I'm guessing that if I drain it down and fill it lowering it to 60-70 and then do it again next spring I could be down in the 40-50% range which would be good.

My other concern is whether I'm doing the test correctly or not. I was thinking of doing the test on the tap water in the house and was wondering what the CYA *should* be there. I'm guessing very low to non existent.

On another, pool guy said my CYA was fine. At this point I don't have a whole lot of faith in the pool guy. He did an inspection on the pool before we bought the house and then we brought him back to do "Pool school" and at that point he ends up finding several things wrong. Does me no good AFTER we buy. Was planning on having the same company come back to "Educate" us on closing the pool, but am lacking confidence in the company. Any suggestions on finding a company that one can have faith in? Is there certification or something for pool people?

~Matt

Matt
If your season is virtual over, I would manage it as is until it is over if you can. I don't close my pool but I have read a number of times that some lose alot of CYA over the winter while the pool is closed.

Tap water will not have any CYA.

Probably would not trust the pool guy. Many don't understand CYA and its relationship to Chlorine.

With that TF-100, you can learn right here. No better place in the United States than the guidance and advice we provide.

If that was my pool ,and given your latitude, I would keep the CYA just as it is until I could close (roughly 60 pool temp)

I would then bring FC up to 40 ppm and button it up. You'll open early in the Spring to a clear pool. Test your CYA then and adjust as needed.

With that TF-100, you can learn right here. No better place in the United States than the guidance and advice we provide.

If that was my pool ,and given your latitude, I would keep the CYA just as it is until I could close (roughly 60 pool temp)

I would then bring FC up to 40 ppm and button it up. You'll open early in the Spring to a clear pool. Test your CYA then and adjust as needed.

Well she's a bit green now. Should I attempt to clean it up or just leave it? Been struggling since we moved in to get it clear and clean...possibly because of the high CYA and probably due to the fact that we got behind the 8 ball from the start due to moving and not paying attention to the pool for a couple weeks.

As far as "Learning right here" does that apply to closing the pool as well. I'm a bit concerned about getting it wrong and ending up with broken parts in the spring. Been reading thru the "Closing the pool" thread and for the most part seems doable although I certainly have questions.

Thanks for your help,

~Matt

probably due to the fact that we got behind the 8 ball from the start due to moving and not paying attention to the pool for a couple weeks.
Yep, Easy to do when you move to a new place. I am suggesting leave it as is and continue to add chlorine until you close.

So, it's your call......

1. You can do a SLAM and clear your pool now (That's gonna take a few days at least and require about a 50% drain and refill) but the benefit is you probably will open to a clear pool in the Spring.

2. limp along, keeping your FC up around 10 ppm constantly and your pool may or may not clear but it's easy to do and then you can dedicate time to clearing the pool in the Spring. No long term damage to your pool but it will likely not be pretty when you open up.

PS - Hundreds of folks here will help you close.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.