Just Filled Pool with Water Newbie Here what next

This sort of thing is covered in the Pool School (see the button near the top right of every page). but...

First thing would be to put in some chlorine (unscented bleach works great and is usually cheapest), and some CYA (stabilizer, cyanuric acid). You can use the Pool Calculator (described in Pool School) to figure out how much. Then you should get a good test kit so you can monitor your water and see if anything else needs to be adjusted. On this forum we are fans of the Taylor K-2006, also available as the Leslie's FAS-DPD Service Test Kit, and then there's the TF100 from tftestkits.net (which in the long run I think is the better deal).
--paulr

The first thing to do is to get a full set of water test results. Depending on what the test results are there are various things that might need adjusting. The only thing we can say for sure is that you are going to need some CYA/stabilizer/conditioner.

Everything will be much simpler if you purchase a top quality test kit. I recommend the TF100 from TFTestKits.net. The Taylor K-2006 is also good. But you could get away with a combination of a cheap WalMart six way drop kit and some pool store testing, at least for a while.

Until you get your test results and start adding CYA, you should add 2 ppm of chlorine each evening. If your pool is 10 feet across and round, and the water is 30 inches deep then it holds about 1,500 gallons. 2 ppm of chlorine in 1,500 gallons is just about 6 oz of household bleach if the bleach is 6% (check the label, some of them are much weaker).

I'd run the filter whenever you aren't swimming. I believe Intex still recommends shutting the filter off when you are in the pool.

Welcome to TFP!!

Yes, you can add them both simultaneously :) The cya will take up to a week to fully dissolve - what I do is put it in a ladies knee-high stocking, tie up the top and drop it in the skimmer (*as long as it doesn't fully obstruct the skimmer basket), the water flowing through the stocking hastens the dissolution.) 8)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.