Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just Filled Pool with Water Newbie Here what next

1. Back To Top    #1

Just Filled Pool with Water Newbie Here what next

I have an intex metal frame 10 ft by 30 inches pool just filled it up with water , my filter is the 1500 one I upgraded what should be next step for me when should I add chemicals ?
    INTEX ULTRA FRAME RECTANGULAR POOL SET, 32' x 16' x 52", Water Capacity (90%): 14,364 Gallons
    Intex Easy Set 4000 gph Filter Pump, 110~120 Volts - 3/4 HP , Hayward c751 star clear filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just Filled Pool with Water Newbie Here what next

This sort of thing is covered in the Pool School (see the button near the top right of every page). but...

First thing would be to put in some chlorine (unscented bleach works great and is usually cheapest), and some CYA (stabilizer, cyanuric acid). You can use the Pool Calculator (described in Pool School) to figure out how much. Then you should get a good test kit so you can monitor your water and see if anything else needs to be adjusted. On this forum we are fans of the Taylor K-2006, also available as the Leslie's FAS-DPD Service Test Kit, and then there's the TF100 from tftestkits.net (which in the long run I think is the better deal).
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

3. Back To Top    #3

The first thing to do is to get a full set of water test results. Depending on what the test results are there are various things that might need adjusting. The only thing we can say for sure is that you are going to need some CYA/stabilizer/conditioner.

Everything will be much simpler if you purchase a top quality test kit. I recommend the TF100 from TFTestKits.net. The Taylor K-2006 is also good. But you could get away with a combination of a cheap WalMart six way drop kit and some pool store testing, at least for a while.

Until you get your test results and start adding CYA, you should add 2 ppm of chlorine each evening. If your pool is 10 feet across and round, and the water is 30 inches deep then it holds about 1,500 gallons. 2 ppm of chlorine in 1,500 gallons is just about 6 oz of household bleach if the bleach is 6% (check the label, some of them are much weaker).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

thank you for info how long should I run my filter for and when I have a 1500 filter by intex on pool
    INTEX ULTRA FRAME RECTANGULAR POOL SET, 32' x 16' x 52", Water Capacity (90%): 14,364 Gallons
    Intex Easy Set 4000 gph Filter Pump, 110~120 Volts - 3/4 HP , Hayward c751 star clear filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd run the filter whenever you aren't swimming. I believe Intex still recommends shutting the filter off when you are in the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

How Much CYA should I add to pool ?

7. Back To Top    #7

Go to the Pool Calculator, tell it how many gallons in your pool, then go down to the "CYA" row; put 0 in the "now" column and 30 in the "target" column, and see what it tells you.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

8. Back To Top    #8

can I add cya and bleach at same time ?

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome to TFP!!

Yes, you can add them both simultaneously The cya will take up to a week to fully dissolve - what I do is put it in a ladies knee-high stocking, tie up the top and drop it in the skimmer (*as long as it doesn't fully obstruct the skimmer basket), the water flowing through the stocking hastens the dissolution.) 8)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)