ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!! Going to give up soon...can't take this never ending green

Aug 6, 2016
Houston
Seriously, I feel like I'm about to tell y'all my life story. Err, my pool's life story, that never seems to end with a happy, fairytale ending that I want. LOL
1st, I've only had my test kit a week so, I'm learning. Don't get all judgy pants on me :hammer:
2nd, pool turned green because it was off for a couple days while I waited for a part.
I've been trying to fix it ever since, CYA was zero so added a gallon of liquid CYA. Previously had added a gallon too.
Then added a box of Borax to raise PH & added a bunch of baking soda for TA. Added a few gallons of 8.25% bleach. I thought we were getting somewhere but....yesterday I poured my blood, sweat (literally) & tears into scrubbing & vacuuming the pool & today it looks more green NOT more clear! What the heck is going on??? HELP please :angel:

PH 7.5
FC 15.5
CC 1
CH 300
TA ??? turned clear at 120 red at 130, for future reference do I use the red or clear reading?
CYA 60

Thanks pool peeps!

Slam level for a CYA of 60ppm is 24ppm. Bring her up there and hold! Good luck! Also your ph reading will be off when over 10ppm FC so stop adding any borax.

Teeheehee, I decided to not bore you to death so I went with the abridged version ;)
BTW this non-scientific mind finds the Slamming process a wee bit confusing. I just added 2 gallons of bleach per the calculator. Now I keep the FC at 24 till the CC is .5 correct?

- - - Updated - - -

Griswald, I aim to please :kim:

Don't expect this to clear up this afternoon. The SLAM is a process and will take possibly several days....don't lose sight of that.
Now I keep the FC at 24 till the CC is .5 correct?
No. Your FC of 24 must be maintained until you meet three criteria...

1. Your pool water is sparkling and there is no visible algae (dead or alive)

2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less

3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Read that SLAM article over and over and stay the course.....you must keep adding chlorine backl up to 24 ppm.

HI there! We got ya :hug: so no worries! If you do not understand something or just want to make sure of something before you do it ASK! We LOVE to help. Our main goal is for YOU to be in charge of your pool, NOT the pool being in charge of you.

So I will break it down a tiny bit more for you:

-for now ONLY test FC-Try to test as often as you can. Add chlorine when you see the FC drop below your SLAM level. After a while you will see the drop happen less and less. Try your best to test and dose at least 4 times a day, more if possible.

-You can test CC every other day if you want but it is not really needed. It dose show you how your battle with the algae is going.

-Brush at least once a day, try for two when you can. It WILL make your water cloudy BUT that is a good thing! It is getting the stuff up to be killed by the FC and to the filter to clean it out of the water.

-Run your pump 24/7. VERY important to clear.

-clean filter when your pressure goes up 20% over you clean %

-Take a picture of your pool looking down at the steps. THAT will help you and us know the SLAM is working. You eyes will not see it day to day but the picture will show it.

-drink an adult drink or two to help during this time LOL

:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everyone, FINALLY today I can see a visible difference! Woohoo almost party time :party:
Well, to be more exact, I can see the bottom of the pool and all the strips of algae I missed when I was vacuuming & scrubbing LOL
It's gonna be cocktail time soon!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.