New testing Kit: Please help decipher chemical levels. Am I in good shape?

Simmer

Aug 25, 2016
FLORIDA KEYS
Hey pool owners, I just received my Taylor K-2005 pool kit, and I am going on my 5th week of pool ownership. It is a saltwater fiberglass pool 6600 gallons.

I had some brown algae looking stuff on the bottom two days ago. I brushed it and ran the filter for the last two days and its gone. I know its finally time to get my water corrected.

Do these numbers look good, and if not, what should I be focusing on?

FC: 0 (test shows clear, no color change) is that correct? I tried 2x just to make sure
TC: - (did not calc)
CC: - (did not calc)
PH: 7.7
TA: 60-70
CH: 100-110
CYA: 0 (the black dot never disappeared and I ran out of room to put water in test tube)
Salt: 3000ppm (ideal per owners book)

OK, i followed the directions spot on and even watched the review videos on Taylors site

Hey pool owners, I just received my Taylor K-2005 pool kit, and I am going on my 5th week of pool ownership. It is a saltwater fiberglass pool 6600 gallons.

I had some brown algae looking stuff on the bottom two days ago. I brushed it and ran the filter for the last two days and its gone. I know its finally time to get my water corrected.

Do these numbers look good, and if not, what should I be focusing on?

FC: 0 (test shows clear, no color change) is that correct? I tried 2x just to make sure
TC: - (did not calc)
CC: - (did not calc)
PH: 7.7
TA: 60-70
CH: 100-110
CYA: 0 (the black dot never disappeared and I ran out of room to put water in test tube)
Salt: 3000ppm (ideal per owners book)

OK, i followed the directions spot on and even watched the review videos on Taylors site
You need to focus on getting that FC up to a safe level. At 0ppm you are at risk of algae, or worse bacteria & person to person disease.

Are you positive it is the K2005?

Ok, you are missing the FAS-DPD portion of the test kits we recommend (the Taylor K-2006 or the TF-100) but you can get that on its own from TFTestkits.net. See link below.

TFTestkits.net

Where is Tavernier? We need more info to understand your own climate which is important to know to answer your questions. Can you add the state/region please?

Yip :flower:

I did just read in the Pool School my test kit is missing FAS-DPD, but i have the "complete high' version, which has test DPD Chlorine 1-10ppm and DPD Bromine 2-20ppm. It is 3 yellow reagents. The booklet says FREE, COMBINED, and TOTAL Chlorine test. I can include a photo if needed.

I live in Tavernier, FL. Its in the florida keys below Key Largo on an island / peninsula. It rains almost everyday to some extent and the weather is always in the high 80's. I have only lived here for 5 weeks so far, but it can go over 100 in the summer and in the winter i think its around 60-70's. zip 33070 if that helps

I am going to buy bleach, baking soda, and stabilizer today (CYA). I assume the stabilizer I have to get from Pool store, the other stuff i"m going to grocery store.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My numbers have been jumping around because I put a ton of bleach into my pool trying to raise the FC. PH was a 7.0 and eyes were burning, so I put Borax in and my PH is normal again. I did not receive the new kit yet, but here are my new numbers.

FC: 0 this was a actually a 1. I used the calculator and it said to add 40 oz of bleach per my TA of 80 to raise to 5. is it the test or me?
TC: -
CC: -
PH: 7.6 finally!
TA: 50 this dropped 10-20 points
CH: 110 same
CYA: 80 perfect!
SALT: 2900 I am going to raise to 3200 since it keeps lowering after rains

Other specs I noticed: purifier was always at 42% but its down to 32%. my cell is reading 0V 5.0A, but the other day it was 17.9V 4.9A that cant be normal..

I don't get the FC as of this moment. I really need this new kit should be tomorrow!

My numbers have been jumping around because I put a ton of bleach into my pool trying to raise the FC. PH was a 7.0 and eyes were burning, so I put Borax in and my PH is normal again. I did not receive the new kit yet, but here are my new numbers.

FC: 0 this was a actually a 1. I used the calculator and it said to add 40 oz of bleach per my TA of 80 to raise to 5. is it the test or me?
TC: -
CC: -
PH: 7.6 finally!
TA: 50 this dropped 10-20 points
CH: 110 same
CYA: 80 perfect!
SALT: 2900 I am going to raise to 3200 since it keeps lowering after rains

Other specs I noticed: purifier was always at 42% but its down to 32%. my cell is reading 0V 5.0A, but the other day it was 17.9V 4.9A that cant be normal..

I don't get the FC as of this moment. I really need this new kit should be tomorrow!
You may have such a high FC that you are bleaching out the DPD test and getting a false zero, a common problem with that type of test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.