Question about lowering CYA

As I am draining my pool can I test the water for CYA or do I have to drain then refill then test with pool full of water. Finally biting the bullet and lowering it. I used the pool math calculator and it says 50% so that's roughly where I am going with it. Thanks!

You're testing for relative levels of CYA. Less water with no other changes = same relative level of CYA. Like when you're testing the level in the pool by using a small sample of water. So 1 ounce of that water is the same as 10,000 gallons. Unless you introduce new CYA-free water to dilute the overall CYA content of your pool it will always read the same.

As I am draining my pool can I test the water for CYA or do I have to drain then refill then test with pool full of water. Finally biting the bullet and lowering it. I used the pool math calculator and it says 50% so that's roughly where I am going with it. Thanks!
No sense checking the remaining water, it will be the same as the CYA is evenly distributed throughout.

Check it after you complete the refill.

It hurts now but you'll be a lot happier when all that excess CYA is gone.

That's what I figure. Might as well get it right and slam properly so that when I close for the winter I am not kicking myself for not lowering it. In the beginning of the summer I was being pool stored and that's why I have a CYA of 110. I read it wrong when I first started testing. I figure fix it right this year and hopefully be running smooth next year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.