Plaster pool needing replastered

I think it should typically be, drain 1-2 days, chip out and prep 1 day, plaster 1 day, fill 1-3 days. Whole thing should be under a week.

Not sure why the time of year would matter unless you have harsh weather. They are usually busier in the spring and summer so might get a better deal in the fall.

Assuming the pool is usable now it will need to be emptied only for as long as it takes to removes the existing finish and apply the new finish (1-2 weeks). Once the plaster is applied it will need to be refilled immediately to allow the plaster to cure properly (usually 28-30 days). My plaster guy said no swimming for 1st 30 days, He was maintaining the pool during that time (daily brushing is required for the first few weeks) and guaranteeing the work so I followed his guidance.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it should typically be, drain 1-2 days, chip out and prep 1 day, plaster 1 day, fill 1-3 days. Hole thing should be under a week.

Not sure why the time of year would matter unless you have harsh weather. They are usually busier in the spring and summer so might get a better deal in the fall.

That's pretty optimistic. We had a full sandblast down to gunite; doesn't add any time to the schedule and it ensures that there are no additional problems.

Maybe optimistic, but that is as long as it should take. Also the no swimming for 30 days is complete nonsense.

Although if you are replacing tile too, that would add 1-2 days also.

Assuming the pool is usable now it will need to be emptied only for as long as it takes to removes the existing finish and apply the new finish (1-2 weeks). Once the plaster is applied it will need to be refilled immediately to allow the plaster to cure properly (usually 28-30 days). My plaster guy said no swimming for 1st 30 days, He was maintaining the pool during that time (daily brushing is required for the first few weeks) and guaranteeing the work so I followed his guidance.

- - - Updated - - -

That's pretty optimistic. We had a full sandblast down to gunite; doesn't add any time to the schedule and it ensures that there are no additional problems.
Out of curiosity, what did it cost to fully sandblast and replaster? Mine's pretty old and could do with a sprucing up.

Our neighbor had his done this spring took 9 day but there was 4 days including the weekend where they did not do any work so it can be done in a week just depends on how many other jobs the company has going at the same time. I think where you live has something to do with it too. TX and CA having tons of pools there is lots plasterers so it seems like things get done a bit quicker since there is more labor available.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There was another member in the Dallas area who had Ecofinish installed and it seemed to be going well. I haven't seen any longer term follow ups from anyone on Ecofinish but it is very interesting.

There was another member in the Dallas area who had Ecofinish installed and it seemed to be going well. I haven't seen any longer term follow ups from anyone on Ecofinish but it is very interesting.

I'm always a little dubious about "greatest thing since sliced bread" innovations that have been around for years without much feedback.

I just had mine replastered, along with new coping and tile. Was quoted 2 weeks but took 14 weeks with the excuse that the plasterers were busy with new construction. I would think the fall would be a good time to replaster as there should be less competition from new builds.

I agree with you. I flew to their facility and was impressed enough that I'm in the process to install it.

It is the ideal product for remodels and another option on new construction.

WOW! And your pool is brand new too....that's a pretty bold endorsement considering your plaster is only a few years old and you're totally willing to rip out for the ecoFinish. I look forward to hearing and reading about your results :party:

- - - Updated - - -

But I know the real reason you're doing it....you want to play with the propane flame-thrower again :whoot:

Good to hear. I kinda fell into this and feel like I'll be missing the boat if I don't jump on it right now. It is very different than what I'm comfortable with and currently doing but I suppose anything is a risk in the beginning.

Good to hear. I kinda fell into this and feel like I'll be missing the boat if I don't jump on it right now. It is very different than what I'm comfortable with and currently doing but I suppose anything is a risk in the beginning.

It's a very interesting concept and there's an applicator up in Phoenix. I doubt they'd ever come down here to Tucson to do jobs (or charge a massive premium) so the market is open down here for one of the traditional pool plaster companies to get into it.

Someday my pool will need a remodel. If this finishing technique is still around, it would definitely be on my list.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.