Constantly changing SWG output to keep FC in line

May 14, 2016
Miami
I have a Jandy SWG and constantly have to adjust the output to keep FC in 3-5 range. Is this typical ? get one cloudy day her in Miami and FC goes to 7, bright sunny day below 3.
ref. CYA 70-80, ph 7.6, salt 3000 ppm, TA 60-70. Would be easier to just add bleach daily.

Sometimes it is easier to add a little extra bleach after a large swim load like on the weekends or after soaking in the hot tub vs having to constantly adjust your SWG %. I run my SWG from the early morning hours until just after noon. I test FC in the evening which is usually at the lowest FC levels. I notice if I test mid-morning, my FC levels are higher.

I don't adjust my SWG if my FC gets a little high which is usually after a few overcast days. I know it will all even out after several blazing hot days.

You probably want to keep your CYA near 80 vs 70, too.

Keep track if you are seeing the drop without anyone swimming on the sunny days.

If you do get a drop without anyone swimming then I would target 80 for the CYA.

If you only see a drop when you have swimmers then I would say they need to use the potty and not go in the pool.

Miami,

Why are you trying to stay between 3 and 5? While 3 is the absolute minimum, 5 is not the maximum. I run about 6 to 8 most of the time and this allows me not to pay much attention for a few days without having to worry that the FC will drop too low. Much easier to stay above the target valve than it is to try and stay between the minimum and target valves.

Jim R.

Miami,

Why are you trying to stay between 3 and 5? While 3 is the absolute minimum, 5 is not the maximum. I run about 6 to 8 most of the time and this allows me not to pay much attention for a few days without having to worry that the FC will drop too low. Much easier to stay above the target valve than it is to try and stay between the minimum and target valves.

Jim R.

This is what I am finding as well. You just can't run it too close. You need to have a little buffer in there so that on average over several days, it equals out. Some days will need a little more and some a little less.

Just because PoolMath says you can run a lower FC with a SWG doesn't mean you have to. The pool is safe and usable anyplace between the minimum FC and shock level. You will drive yourself nuts adjusting up and down trying to keep it in a narrow range, besides you run the risk of it getting below the minimum (algae or unsafe water). I agree with others, set your average a bit higher and don't worry if it's occasionally a bit above the ideal target range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.