New intex pool owner

Dsw422

Aug 24, 2016
Skipwith
Hey everyone..

I recently bought and put up a new to me intex ultra frame 20'x48" pool. I used to own a small easy set ring pool. With my yard being so u level and that pool being so cheap, I never felt like leveling the ground. But for my new ultra frame, I found it necessary to level the ground.

To level the area, I used my tiller and shovels.. I had to dig down 18 inches at the high side. I pulled that dirt to the other side to level. I have heard that it could have been a bad idea since I had no way to compact the loose soil, but I packed it best I could with my truck.. haha.. my retaining wall currently is pallets from my workplace. I'll replace the wall with landscape timbers next year..

Once I got the ground as level as I though was good, I started to assemble the pool. I had no instructions since I recieved from a person who previously owned it (only for a month). It seemed fairly simple to put up, but once the pool was filled , I realized I put the vertical support legs in the white strap when they were supposed to be outside.. I'll fix that next season..

Pool took about the a week to fill using my well for about 2 hours a day. It's been just over a week of it being up and I'm loving it. And so is my 2 year old son. My wife will hopefully be able to swim in it before I take it down. She is currently not allowed to swim since having a c-section 8-18-16 giving birth to my baby girl.

I am now starting to experience the hard part of owning a pool, maintenance.. haha.. when I filled the pool, I never added any chemicals. I'm now regretting that. No green or anything, but it's starting to get cloudy and some buildup on the pool floor. So I am now purchasing products to help me fix all the problems. Im also getting a list of parts and componets to replace or add for next year. I hope to enjoy this pool for a long time. And when it dies, I'll upgrade to a larger intex.

Here's a few pics.

20160813_083842.jpg

20160814_152946.jpg

20160816_103209.jpg

20160816_143929.jpg

20160824_151810.jpg

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: I suspect the cloudiness and junk you are beginning to see are the early stages of algae. You'll want to ensure you have the right test kit to treat that and maintain your water for the rest of this year and beyond. We recommend one of two products - a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C (link in my sig). Either of those are great test kits and well worth the money. Make sure to get one of those right away and stay far away from pool stores or anyone that does free testing.

Also make sure to become familiar with the other links you see in my signature below. They are very important and will help you understand everything you need to know about water maintenance. Nice to have you with us.

Thanks.. and yes, that cloudiness was the start of algaea but I have since solved it. I'll have the tf 100 for next season. I'm currently using the clorox pool test straps and the results and solutions the app recommends seems to be working good..

That white spot you see on the bottom of the pool is actually some sort of stain the previous owners let happen.. its rough there. I'm hoping that when my intex pool care kit comes in, I can start to clean it off.