Pump dead?

Jul 27, 2016
Wesley Chapel
I must have jinxed myself asking about re-plumbing for when my pump died because I am afraid it might have - but not sure. I have a Haywood Northstar pump 1.5 HP. When I came home I noticed it wasn't working. There is a loud HUM that comes out and it is SUPER hot. The hum doesn't stay on...it just hums for a few seconds and then goes quiet. WE recently had the pool re-done - is it possible something just got stuck in the impeller? The pump died 2 years ago and the company that fixed it put in a century Centurion motor. It was 5-6 years old at that time. Is it time to just get a whole new pump? If so, what is a good replacement for the Haywood Northstar 1.5 HP? We have a suction cleaner, SWG, two pot/waterfalls and bench jets....not sure the VS speed would work with all that, would it? NO sense in getting something that has to run on full power all the time, is there?

Is there hope this can be salvaged?

Thanks,

Greg

More than likely it is just a bad capacitor. Can you turn the impeller easily (by hand)?

So I have never taken a pump apart before? This thing is a beast. I finally managed to take it apart and was able to turn the impeller by hand. Putting it back together was even harder. Should I replace the O-ring? I guess I will see if it leaks - if I can even get it going again. So if the impeller turned does that mean it is the capacitor? Amazon has one for $15. I might order there - not sure of any place around me that would carry them. Do you think that is worth a shot! (If I haven't totally destroyed it already by taking it apart and putting it back together?)

So I have never taken a pump apart before? This thing is a beast. I finally managed to take it apart and was able to turn the impeller by hand. Putting it back together was even harder. Should I replace the O-ring? I guess I will see if it leaks - if I can even get it going again. So if the impeller turned does that mean it is the capacitor? Amazon has one for $15. I might order there - not sure of any place around me that would carry them. Do you think that is worth a shot! (If I haven't totally destroyed it already by taking it apart and putting it back together?)

Thanks for the tip. New capacitor fixed it! The old one looked as if it exploded. New one works great. Only problem is that the the plastic piece that covers the motor is cracked! Do they sell replacements for just that cover to the wiring?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.