Just to clarify...about cya

lwebb

Jun 8, 2008
If I get my cya to a good level with stabilizer at the beginning of the season, and use just bleach (not pucks) to chorinate, cya should not fluctuate much? I haven't gotten my test kit yet and am using up my test kits that do not test cya. Last year I used pool store analysis, and have been reading all these articles about how inaccurate it is!

So, if I start with water with 0 cya, use the calculator to add the amount recommended for my pool size, it should be ok not to test for a while? Since my pool has many hours of direct sunlight (basicially from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm), a cya level around 60 is a good goal?

Thanks,
Laura

that's correct...unless you have significant water replacement via backwashing or rain overflow, you should be OK,,,it is also possible to lose cya over the winter months, but given you are just starting up you should be OK...I would shoot for 40ppm until you can test...just in case your gallonage estimate is off slightly.

Hi Laura,

We usually recommend 30-50. Some users in hot sunny locations do report better results with levels like 60. :wink:

Yes, if you target correctly, and add the appropriate amount, assuming no large amounts of water replacement - it's fine to test it monthly or so. Make sure you are getting a brand that is at least 90% Cyanuric Acid, not a cheaper % because that would throw the dosages off.

Go to User Control Panel, the Profile, then Edit Signature. We need to know:
1) The size of your pool in gallons
2) The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
3) If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
4) If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
5) If you know, tell us the size pump and the size (flow rate) of your filter.

Yes, unfortunately pool store analysis are often inaccurate, unreliable and sometimes outright geared to sell unsuspecting pool owners chemicals. :rant:

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Ok! Thank you, I think I'm finally getting it. Last year all I really understood about BBB method was that you can use bleach instead of pool store chlorine! The rest of the chemistry is finally beginning to make sense to me.

Thanks again!

bleach is not necessarily cheaper than pool store chlorine, and the bbb method doesn't necessarily mean that. whatever you can get a better deal on, keeping in mind chlorine is a higher concentration (10-12%) of the active ingredient than bleach (6% sometimes 3%).

Yes, I realize all that NOW. I was comparing my limited knowledge from when I first discovered the method to my (hopefully) better understanding this year. Thanks for being so thorough in your responses, though!

Laura

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.